Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MPI throttle body options

It could be spaced up enough to get fuel rail to throttle linkage clearance, but this is already a tall intake and I am very limited on how much height I can have before I hit the hood.
    I'm gonna do some more playing around with diffrent ideas I have and see what I can come up with.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    Here's a thought. There are 4bbl throttle bodies available which bolt to a Holley carb pattern. There's a company calt Auto-Nomics which had piles of new old stock TB's left over from an aftermarket EFI system from the '80s and a couple of years ago they were selling them for about $200. For that price you get a TB with no TPS or IAC but those things can be added at the time of purchase. The site's still up but there are no prices so it might be worth it to contact them. Here's a little blurb about their TB's in other applications: http://www.auto-nomics.com/faq-altapps.html

The biggest problem with that, is this intake does not use the standard square bore pattern. The pattern is smaller, and if you look at my intake thread at the pics, you will see the pattern is specific to this intake.
    Measured and the pattern is 3 3/4 wide, by 4 7/8 long.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    Well, if you can build an adapter for a 3 bolt TB or an LS series TB then why not for a 4 bolt carb flanged TB? It doesn't have to be very thick. Anyway, I believe the TB has a dual bolt pattern. I'll check mine next trip out to the barn.

I understand what your saying. Yes, it would probably be just as easy to buld a adapter for that style as it would the single blade unit. But I am trying to use as many common junkyard parts as I can. That 4v tb is real nice, but $200 is a far cry from $27 for a junkyard chevy unit.
    I'm still playing around with some diffrent mounting and throttle linkage possiabilties with this caddy tb, but have not decided for 100% on running it just yet, I am still open for other options.

Administrator
    Just thinking about the amount of time that will be involved in making an adapter to mount the TB at 90, or 45, or whatever. You might try getting some aluminum tubing that's bent at 90 degrees and using that for a starting point. Then make a plate to bolt to the manifold. Then weld pipe to plate. Then determine necessary angles and length for TB end of pipe and cut. Then make plate that bolts to TB. Then weld plate to pipe. You do have an aluminum welder, yes? Then put both end plates on belt or large disc sander to get 'em flat. And hopefully that combination won't be taller than the TB mounted flat on the intake with one of the "hats" I mentioned earlier.

But I have to ask, why does the throttle linkage have to be inline with the fuel rail if you mount the TB flat on the intake? If your vehicle uses a cable can you turn the TB and get a different length cable?

That was my main idea about a 90* adapter, was to take and make two plates, one to bolt to intake, then the other to the tb, then weld a pice of pipe between them. Probably something like a mandral bent peice of exhaust pipe. I have a 230v mig welder, but no aluminum wire. I was just gonna use steel because I already have plenty of plate here.

I went out and tried what you said about turning it sideways, and that wont work because of the width of the opening in the intake. Its longer front to back, than it is wide. So it covers up about half or more of the iac passage. A adapter could be built to funnel it into the opening, but again, it would need to be thick and the hood clearance comes back into play.
    Another problem that I didnt really think much about till now, it throttle cable hook up. It didnt really dawn on me when I bought it, or while doing this test fitting. The caddy tb, the cabel pulls from the front of the tb. So if mounted straight up, the cable is also going to be pointing straight up. If I point it forward, the cable is gonna be pointing forward, and will have to make a big loop back around to the firewall. That could probably be made to work, if I could find a cable long enough.

So lets talk CFM. Lets put this 75mm caddy tb aganst the 73mm vortec one. Just how many cfm diffrence is there gonna be? Whatever tb I use, I dont want it to be too small, but at the same time, I dont want it to be too big. I would definately remove that air deflector from the blade, but I noticed it was riveted to the blade, and when removed, its gonna leave two holes in the blade.

Eaglemark, you said yours measured with a 75mm blade? The ones I measured were 73. You think yours could have come off a 454 or something? You ever get any pics of it?

I had pictures, but now I have a cable to hook camara to computer too!

Measures 74.85MM on bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Thanks for the pics!
    Looking at it, and the pics 1project posted in the first page, and also the pic of the vortec one he posted too. It kinda looks like yours is made to mount facing forward with the cable pulling from the backside. Where the vortec ones that face up, pull from the front of the engine. Comparing the pics of yours to the pic of the vortec with the aftermarket elbow on it in the first page of this thread. The throttle lever itself looks the same, but the clocking of it looks diffrent.
    I am gonna continue to do some more research.

However, on the other hand, I did play around with my jeep some more. I measured and compared this intake to my current one. (rough eyeball measurements with a tape measure) It appears this intake is the same height of my old intake with a 1in thick adapter on it. So its around 1 inch taller than my current intake. I also measured hood clearance, taking into account the height of this new intake, I am limited to 6.5 inches of height. Thats the height of the adapter plate, throttle body, and air filter, or air filter elbow/adapter. It cant go over 6.5in tall. I also played with the caddy tb and stood it up under the hood in about the area it would be in, if I was to stand it up with a elbow. Hood clearance would be good, and the caddy throttle cable would actually be ok. Length looked ok, and even though it would be facing forward, it would simply loop around and go back to the firewall.
    But still exploring other options.

Administrator
    So lets talk CFM. Lets put this 75mm caddy tb aganst the 73mm vortec one. Just how many cfm diffrence is there gonna be? Whatever tb I use, I dont want it to be too small, but at the same time, I dont want it to be too big.
    You're starting to pick at nits. Get something built first, then make changes if you don't like the result. It's a small difference to be letting it stop you.

When I put the marine intake in the Chevelle, I had a monster long cable that came from a mid to late 90's van IIRC.

The air deflectors on the trucks are spot welded in. You can drill the weld out of the deflector without drilling through the plate. I'm surprised that GM used rivets in a TB.

I guess thats just the way I am. I like to try and have all my ducks in a row, and as many possiable problems solved before I start on something. I guess you could call it annal.

Looking at pics online and ebay. It appears marks tb is from a 4.8/5.3/6.0 vortec series engine.

Administrator
    LOL... I think you're bordering on OCD. :)

I spent a little time with mine worryong about the air deflector. On, off, what's it do, what's it for. After spending about 2 hrs online looking, I decided my time is worth more than that. Like you, the junkyard TB doesn't cost much so if I don't like the results I can try again.

The engine that intake was built for has never been installed. I spent a bunch of time working out a cam choice and ended up buying a factory stock LT4 part used on Ebay. Now I look at my ZZ3 cam and I'm thinking I'm going to install it instead. And I've got to change the timing cover. The engine was going to be used with a 7427 but now it's going to be used with the OBDII Vortec pcm so I'll be installing a late model plastic cover, crank sensor and wheel, and I'll be shortening the balancer. And I'll probably modify an old Mallory distributor instead of a plastic Vortec unit, unless I decide to use a metal Vortec part.

But at least I'm doing something. :)

Ha, well yea, I do actually have some very mild OCD. Not as bad as some, and not as bad as other members of my family. But it is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Here's an aftermarket elbow but you get the idea:
    Attachment 361
    Bringing this thread back up just to ask one question. Where can you get this elbow? I have been searching online but havent really come up with anything like that one. You dont happen to know who made this one do you?
    I looked at a few of the factory ones and didnt care anything for them. One like the one pictured above would be pretty much perfect for me.