Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: failed emissions this morning.

failed emissions--solved!!!!!!!

she has been in the garage for about a month getting the interior redone. got her out on the road this morning for a 45 minute drive to blow her out. ran perfect. then to the station that usually does it. and she didn't pass. he even ran her through twice.
    low speed emissions--HC standard 120 reading 168
    low speed emissions--NOX standard 907 reading 1769
    high speed emissions--HC standard 117 reading 86---passed
    high speed emissions--NOX standard 821 reading 1018

92 Camaro tbi 305 stock engine. headers and magnaflow catback magnaflow high flow cat. custom tune by EAGLEMARK. fuel pressure 12psi. she has passed the two years passed on the third try but the readings were way less. pushed on the egr while idling and she will bog. checked vacuum 21 psi steady. cap, rotor, plugs, and wires only 2 years old. fresh premium gas.
    checked a couple a plugs and they are clean.
    checked for power at the egr solenoid--14.5 volts. used a power probe and grounded the solenoid ecm wire and I get manifold vacuum on the backside to the egr. sucked in egr valve and it held. hooked all vacuum lines up and hit the solenoid with ground and it will not pull the egr in. maybe its no suppose because it needs backpressure. car does not have the smog pump or the tubes. does have the egr and the fuel tank canister.

let me have all the ideas please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by one92rs; 03-30-2014 at 12:46 AM.

What's the fuel pressure? When's the last time you did a tune up? Is the weather the same today as it usually is when you test?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

fuel pressure 12 psi. she is a garage queen. wires, cap, rotor, plugs two years old. maybe 2000 miles on them. weather today was rainy and warm. last year colder. year before clear skies.

I know you've been happy with the tune! If it's nothing mechanical, then we can figure out how to adjust the tune to pass. I'll just send another emissions test chip. I just don't know what to adjust for your emissions?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    If the car passed the E-Test the two previous years, followed by failing this year, with the same tune - the E-Test failure is not tune related.

Given that the car is predominantly stored (not used) the mileage since the last service / tune up is not that relevant. Store vehicles are often more susceptible to moisture / corrosion issues.

Start by checking for vacuum leaks and confirm consistent fuel pressure. Inspect the distributor cap and rotor, and change the oil and filter. It is a good idea to also replace the oxygen sensor.

A compression and leak down test will help rule out stuck piston rings, and / or a valve that is not fully seating / sealing.

If after all of these tests / checks, the vehicle still fails emissions, there is a very good chance that the catalytic converter(s) is the cause. Aftermarket cats won't last nearly as long as the OEM cats will.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-16-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Good point, did it ever pass with my tune?

If not do you have a chip that passed?

-= =-

compression is a little low I already know that much. oil pressure is a little low as well. 130000 miles. I think I am going to log tomorrow some driving and see what I get. hell ill take it out in the misty rain if I have to. but I will get a log tomorrow for sure and then I will post it. cap and rotor are accel and are in prestine condition. no carbon deposits or corrosion. I will start tomorrow with more stuff to check. all vacuum lines are perfect. checked them all today when I was checking the egr. something has to give. I have also checked everything cold. tomorrow ill wring her out with a log and we can see what is all going on. even if I break her ill wring her out . EAGLEMARK that tune has been awesome since we nailed her. she runs ****** awesome.

hey EAGLEMARK last year your tune did pass on the third try. yes sir it did. but like I said she has been sitting in the garage for a month. unless there is something that can be tuned out with HC or NOX I believe I have something stickin. now I do have a question we haven't hit on.

with the solenoid hit with power and ground and engine at idle----should the egr open up and not quiver as it is doing?

You should definitely have a good idle go bad if EGR opens up.

Lets see a log if anything pops up? Don't forget the idle at end of log.

I know you say 2,000 miles on? But a year and even the best oil can break down in a year. Always change oil before emissions tests, along with... well you fresh on tune up... maybe a new set of plugs! And a AC delco O2 sensor. How old is gas? Keep it full all the time? Highway drive and open it up. Bring it in hot. What does this test involve? Idle? Rollers etc... There was a trick for some of these old ECM, cross A and B on ALDL port and let it idle that way, then pull the jumper before they test or see it.

Was the batt disconnected for the time it sat?

In the end I think Buzz hit it and your CAT is shot, just to old?

-= =-

battery stayed connected with a trickle charger. oil was changed three times last year but not this year. been filled up a few times on gas. hoping that that cat isn't bad. it also is only two years old.what does the jump A and B do for these. what does that trick accomplish.

Raises Idle, increases Spark which helps keep motor cleaned out (wet intake remember?) and warm but more importantly keeps the CAT hot so it works.

-= =-

there has been real bad weather here today. haven't gotten a chance to get out.

are the egr perimeters settable?? are there even paremters for that? is there any sure fire way to test an egr system besides putting in a vacuum tee and run a gauge in the car while driving. I know that the previous test where it was at idle I powered up the egr solenoid to get vacuum to the egr. all it did was move slightly back and forth. but wont pull all the way back.going to put the plastic lines on instead of all small rubber ones and see if that helps. it is an AC DELCO 17088125 N egr valve. moves freely and will hold vacuum. the cat I have is a 3" race cat. it is clear. thinking about buying the magnaflow 17" stock type cat to put on her with the 2 1/2 inlt and outlet. plan on the tune up as well. wires are all good. cap, rotor, and plugs will be changed. have rapid fire #2 plugs in it. going back to R45TS plugs. going to try and log it as is. but with plugs and stuff all removed I might put in the new and log it.

Twice I have removed an Accell cap and it was not on right! Almost fit... the part that wears out and actually fails without notice is the center post that is spring loaded, the spring breaks and it just hangs there. Well this is for small cap EFI, don't remember if you have the Large Cap HEI?

I have never had issues with stock spark plugs for any engine. Wish I could say the same for the fancy cool name expensive ones? But I've never dealt with the AC Rapid Fire?

It's probably the 3 inch race CAT causing the barely pass and now fail emissions?

I don't see much in definition to adjust EGR, what are you trying to do? There is a good dissambly for $61. I added all the error 32 stuff for $42 so the tests would pass with EGR still on. Not by cheating but to make the test possible after dual exhaust etc... there were many times it would fail because of free flow exhaust.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    If you find it is that cat, and need to replace it, don't leave it in all the time. Have an exhaust shop build a test pipe for you, tell them it's to put in while drag racing or something. The test pipe bolts into the spot where the cat goes normally. It's just a piece of straight pipe. At the performance shop I worked at for a long time we found that aftermarket cats barely last the two years in between tests if you leave them in. I use one in my '91 Jetta. About a week before testing I throw it in, drive it normally, go through my test and then put the test pipe back in. Then, I store the cat until the next test.