Thread: failed emissions this morning.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

failed emissions--solved!!!!!!!

she has been in the garage for about a month getting the interior redone. got her out on the road this morning for a 45 minute drive to blow her out. ran perfect. then to the station that usually does it. and she didn't pass. he even ran her through twice.
    low speed emissions--HC standard 120 reading 168
    low speed emissions--NOX standard 907 reading 1769
    high speed emissions--HC standard 117 reading 86---passed
    high speed emissions--NOX standard 821 reading 1018

92 Camaro tbi 305 stock engine. headers and magnaflow catback magnaflow high flow cat. custom tune by EAGLEMARK. fuel pressure 12psi. she has passed the two years passed on the third try but the readings were way less. pushed on the egr while idling and she will bog. checked vacuum 21 psi steady. cap, rotor, plugs, and wires only 2 years old. fresh premium gas.
    checked a couple a plugs and they are clean.
    checked for power at the egr solenoid--14.5 volts. used a power probe and grounded the solenoid ecm wire and I get manifold vacuum on the backside to the egr. sucked in egr valve and it held. hooked all vacuum lines up and hit the solenoid with ground and it will not pull the egr in. maybe its no suppose because it needs backpressure. car does not have the smog pump or the tubes. does have the egr and the fuel tank canister.

let me have all the ideas please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by one92rs; 03-30-2014 at 12:46 AM.

What's the fuel pressure? When's the last time you did a tune up? Is the weather the same today as it usually is when you test?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

fuel pressure 12 psi. she is a garage queen. wires, cap, rotor, plugs two years old. maybe 2000 miles on them. weather today was rainy and warm. last year colder. year before clear skies.

I know you've been happy with the tune! If it's nothing mechanical, then we can figure out how to adjust the tune to pass. I'll just send another emissions test chip. I just don't know what to adjust for your emissions?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    If the car passed the E-Test the two previous years, followed by failing this year, with the same tune - the E-Test failure is not tune related.

Given that the car is predominantly stored (not used) the mileage since the last service / tune up is not that relevant. Store vehicles are often more susceptible to moisture / corrosion issues.

Start by checking for vacuum leaks and confirm consistent fuel pressure. Inspect the distributor cap and rotor, and change the oil and filter. It is a good idea to also replace the oxygen sensor.

A compression and leak down test will help rule out stuck piston rings, and / or a valve that is not fully seating / sealing.

If after all of these tests / checks, the vehicle still fails emissions, there is a very good chance that the catalytic converter(s) is the cause. Aftermarket cats won't last nearly as long as the OEM cats will.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-16-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Good point, did it ever pass with my tune?

If not do you have a chip that passed?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

compression is a little low I already know that much. oil pressure is a little low as well. 130000 miles. I think I am going to log tomorrow some driving and see what I get. hell ill take it out in the misty rain if I have to. but I will get a log tomorrow for sure and then I will post it. cap and rotor are accel and are in prestine condition. no carbon deposits or corrosion. I will start tomorrow with more stuff to check. all vacuum lines are perfect. checked them all today when I was checking the egr. something has to give. I have also checked everything cold. tomorrow ill wring her out with a log and we can see what is all going on. even if I break her ill wring her out . EAGLEMARK that tune has been awesome since we nailed her. she runs ****** awesome.

hey EAGLEMARK last year your tune did pass on the third try. yes sir it did. but like I said she has been sitting in the garage for a month. unless there is something that can be tuned out with HC or NOX I believe I have something stickin. now I do have a question we haven't hit on.

with the solenoid hit with power and ground and engine at idle----should the egr open up and not quiver as it is doing?