Hey guys...I am completely new to this game so if this is a stupid question....bare with me. I want to start learning to burn my own proms and have invested in the equipment and software, but thought I would put in a little safe guard in case something was to go wrong. What I have done is acquired a couple ecms from a local yard here that I have a bit of a service related relationship with. They are ECMs out of chevy trucks like mine but they have different service numbers on them. Mine is a 1227747 and the others are not but they use the same prom. I have installed a socket adapter onto one of the other ecms and kept mine back for just in case. Problem is now that I haven't had any luck with getting my laptop to talk with my ecm I can't get the truck to take the stock ecm and prom. The SES light either comes on constantly, of flashes very rapidly depending whether or not I have my aldl cable hooked up. Now, from what I can tell so far by reading here and there this is a sign that the ecm is in "fault mode" or "limp mode". If that is the case what do I have to do to get my stock ecm loaded back into my truck? Is there a procedure to take the ECM out of fault mode or should it correct itself once the factory prom is back in place. I appologize if this has been discussed before...I have read and read until my head hurts and I have so many things coming together in my head I am lost. Right now all I want to do is get my truck back to running again, then I can start from scratch and get back to learning the prom burning and tuning one step at a time from the beginning. At this point I am ready to pull the heads...put a carb set of heads on and go with a carb and intake.