Thread: So where do you sell your stuff??

Administrator

So where do you sell your stuff??

One of the ways I've gotten project money over the years is to collect vintage or uncommon parts and sell them in the spring on Ebay. I haven't done this since 2009 because I didn't have time, but I've kept collecting parts. I figured it's time to start up again but I sold a couple of items on Ebay recently and was not impressed. Between Ebay charging me a fee for shipping, the searches showing an endless stream of cheap imported junk, and the distinct lack of used parts sold by small sellers, I'm thinking there must be a better way to connect with the guys who really want this stuff. So I'm looking for suggestions. I've posted to local Craigslist but the response generally isn't good. My wife has used a service on Facebook with some success. I tried a couple of local free classified sites but those only resulted in piles of spam. So does anyone have a favorite site to sell items? Or any favorite tips or tricks they're willing to share for the sites that have been around forever?

Thanks.

I use Craigslist, Ebay (A.K.A FEE-BAY) and the for sale here at gearhead-efi.com. For the most part, my Craigslist postings have a phone number, not the email link. Both my Ebay and Craiglist ads have good clear pictures. Pictures that have good detail. I make sure only the item I'm selling is pictured. I use a back drop, or for large items like an engine I use a wall. See samples below. I firmly believe the rule, don't let the buyers eye leave what is being sold in the picture. Generally items sell better clean. I generally sell items à la carte. I sell on the positive, for example; if something is missing from a TPI system like the throttle body I provide a complete list of all the items included with the TPI. I include positive comments like "everything pictured is included". I avoid the negative, like everything included "except" the throttle body. I avoid worthless phrases like "came from a running vehicle", "want it gone", or " it will be scrapped it if I don't get my asking price". I think using phrases like "Asking Price", "Best Offer". or don't list a price trying to prompt someone into calling.

I use an extra long description "What's for Sale", it's to make sure the item shows up in a search. Consider how someone will look for the item. For example I used the description, International 4x4 Scout II Dana 44 Rear Axle Differential Assembly.

If you dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's" with the ebay shipping label system there is a 9% discount for using ebay / paypal for purchasing the shipping label.

I usually have my ebay auctions buy it now using the "or best offer" option. I also use the automatically accept best offer above $$$ and automatically decline offer below. I leave a small window between what I will automatically accept and what I will automatically decline. If using auction only, I have my auctions end on the weekend between 8am ~ 8pm central time zone.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 03-06-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Super Moderator
    there are certainly facebook "groups" for everything now, i only look at the ones local to me, but i'm sure there are nationwide buy/sell/trade groups for certain stuff. however, nationwide = LOTS of people and LOTS of posts..... anything you post could get lost in the maelstrom.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Usally the first place I post things for sale is on forums I am on. Next is craigslist, then sometimes I resort to ebay. Ebay is usally my last resort as I usally get the least ammount of money for a item, but have been surprised before and got more than I was expecting.
    I have for the most part had pretty decent luck with craigslist. Not everything sells. I have had several people who call and set up a day/time to come look at or buy a item and then never hear from them again. That gets a little frustrating.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.