Thread: Stand alone tranmission controller

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    34blazer,

Still working on it. I will tell you that for now, the source code will not be available but support will be.

What year is the transmission you plan on using this with? I can help you identify year ranges if you are unsure as there are differnces in say 1988-1994ish, 1995-2003, 2004up. While these do not pose any real issues, it is important to know for proper control/operation.

If you're still interested let me know but don't be in too big of a hurry as this isn't my day job. :-) I can build whatever you need from the controller to the harness.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Carb and Points!
    Hi Buddrow , and the rest of the people reading -

I found your thread talking about how you're building an Arduino board that controls the 4L80E. I've been trying to decide on which commercial controller I've wanted to buy for some time now and then stumbled across this you tube video where a guy is using an Arduino to control a Mercedes transmission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrw--4Su1M

So I searched for one for the 4L80e and found your thread. I see you've been working this for about a year now, are you close to completion? My 365 ci Cadillac is running a 4l80e via adapter plate, I just need a controller. If yours is almost ready to go, I'd give it a shot.

My one suggestion for the build would be to integrate an attached display like in the video above (tuning in the car without needing a computer would be nice for some running just a carb). Maybe have the option to detach it if someone wants to hide the display? (But maybe all of the tuning is going to be done via Tuner Pro?). Eventually I'm wanting to convert my 365 to sequential fuel injection and add 1-2 turbos on it.. yes, I'm crazy. Thanks for the read, hope the project is coming along!

Alex

Fuel Injected!
    Alex aka HotRodCadillac,

Dig the name and the project. Glad to hear you "stumbled" across my thread. I was never really happy with the aftermarket units as a whole. They work but, much like the gentleman in the video, they seem a bit over complicated for the average gearhead. And seeing how transmissions are mystery boxes to most people anyway, I wanted to make a more user friendly version.

I could possibly release a beta version soon just keep posted. As for now, tuning is done via a terminal program and excel. I have a GUI console in the works but it is very, very early in the process. I do have an .adx for TunerPro which can be used for datalogging the controller but no tuning/programming currently(I know I posted that I had it programming via TunerPro but i must have been high lol).

Adding a "simple" LCD display wouldn't be too hard, just gotta have a demand for it, definitely keep it in mind as an option.

Oh, and I have an option for a shift light output just in case that piques your interest. Also, for now, in order to use my controller with a GM factory ecm or electronic instrument cluster, you will have to piggyback a DRAC module for the correct input signal to the ecm/instrument cluster.

Buddrow

Fuel Injected!
    any updates?
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    34blazer and to whom it may concern,

Progress has been hit and miss. I still have some testing to do and software to update on both the 4l60e and the 4l80e. If you are interested in beta testing a unit, I may entertain the idea just pm me and we can talk. Other than that, it is coming along just slowly these days with all I have going on. I have gotten another project done though, it's an electric fan/water pump controller with LCD display. It is about a month or so from being in a box but it is done. As always if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Buddrow

Carb and Points!
    Hi Buddrow, I'm still watching. Hope this thing is still something you tinker with. I'll be checking back for updates. See ya!

Alex

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodCadillac View Post
    Hi Buddrow, I'm still watching. Hope this thing is still something you tinker with. I'll be checking back for updates. See ya!

Alex
    Alex,

Yes it is still in development. Still have in vehicle testing to be done and calibration software to write. I am lookong to have it interfaced with Tunerpro for tuning but as of now it only logs data and shows dtc faults. I dont currently have a set in ston launch date but lilely after the first of the year. Stay tuned and hit me up with any questions or comments u may habe as they are always considered amd answered as promptly as possible.

Buddrow