Thread: How do you pick a bin to start out with?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

How do you pick a bin to start out with?

Going on a year now that I have been tweaking this bin, one of several, trying to get the gas mileage up and reduce the knocks.

I've been reading as much as I can and there just seems like so much to try to take in that it is of my opinion that anyone who thinks they can throw a tbi system on anything and make it run perfectly on day one is a little naive.

Maybe it's almost plug and play when a GM TBI system is installed on a v8, but I'm working with a 60v6 and have things like spark latency values giving me, (or I think they are), issues.

I'd prefer to use the 1227747 ECM but as far as I can tell, there was never a 60v6 that used a 1227747 ecm/bin, so I'm left looking at the nearest equivalent bin for a 90 degree 4.3 and up.

And then I know that people prefer bins that run sync over async, but how do you tell?

I'm lost...........

I don't really remember why I am using the bin that I am right now......

Super Moderator
    with the C3 ECMs, you don't have a lot of room to play around in terms of custom masks or being able to run a mask in an ECM it didn't come from the factory.

is there a reason why you're avoiding the (i think) '8062 that was used on the 2.8TBI S/T trucks? it is very similar to the 7747 and from what i remember, pretty well hacked/understood.

to answer question 1 though: assuming i'm set on a certain ECM/mask, have to match up the closest factory calibration to what i have in terms of(in order of importance) engine(or at least, engine family), trans, platform, emissions. ex: i'd rather run a 2.8 J-body 5 speed BIN on a 3.1 5 speed W-body than attempt to make a 3.1/auto W calibration work.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    The 8062 doesn't seem to have as many parameters to adjust as the 7747.

For my case, a 3.4 sfi pulled and topped with a TBI.

I would have thought that 8062 with the 2.8 bin would have been easier to adapt to the 3.4, but that seems to be more difficult than running the 1227747, but then there is the spark latency that I have talked with you about.

Honestly, I think I could be making this more difficult than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by damanx View Post
    Honestly, I think I could be making this more difficult than necessary.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    there are people who swap just the 2.8 top end onto the 3.4 block and i think maybe an injector or fuel pressure change and don't have many/any issues.

i'm quite confused as to how that can happen and you run into so much trouble?

unless they have different definitions of "it runs correctly".
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    there are people who swap just the 2.8 top end onto the 3.4 block and i think maybe an injector or fuel pressure change and don't have many/any issues.

.................................................. .......^^^^^^^^^^....................

It could very well be both.

I don't know why I am having so much difficulty other than maybe I am expecting too much.

Right now, I can't remember the reasons for going from the 8062 to the 7747 other than that there is A LOT more support so to speak for the 7747 than the 8062.

Maybe the easiest thing for me to do is to start over from scratch and go from there, I have no idea to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post

He's convinced that everyone else's 3.4 are knocking and running lean,CONVINCED, and spouting off about it, when he can't even get his to run well.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/w...-setup-575985/

If that sounded harsh, it was supposed to, at least a little. I've always gone by the old idea of be master of your own domain before telling others how to run theirs...

That out of the way, there are a few things to look at to select a bin to use.

First is what ECM is being used, this will determine what code(s) can be used and can make the choice significantly easier. The flip side to this is that sometimes you need to look at the application first and then choose the ECM based on that.
    For example:
    Someone using a 6 cylinder engine that is naturally aspirated, and a manual, well choices for ECM are pretty open here and many people will be able to start with their original ECM or a similar ECM. However, if that same 6 cylinder was now equipped with a turbocharger, this cuts down on the available code that is capable of dealing with positive intake pressure. In this case you look at the code capable of dealing with this, which will determine what ECM is used. Just to take this example a little farther, $8F and $58 will both run a combination like this, but wait there's a couple gotchas here. $8F was used on a V6 with DIS, where as $58 was used on a 4.3 with a dizzy. So now the tuner would have to look at the ignition system being used to match up, and/or decide if they can deal with the code changes to make one run on the other, if that's what is decided. Let's say $58 was decided upon, because it has much better support than $8F (time researching pays dividends here). What ECM(s) will this code run in? Well it was originally used in the 1227749. Hmm, these are a little hard to find, but through some research it is shown that the '1227727 and the 1227730 are in the same ECM family and will also run the same code and are much easier to find. The rest gets pretty easy after that.

In the case of a TBI engine, the choice is similar but a little different. If there is an electronic automatic trans then a newer PCM will be needed that can run the trans will pretty much dictate the ECM to use, or at least the variants. If there is a non electronic trans or manual trans, then the choice is a little more open. The newer PCMs can still be used, but does take more effort to disable the E-trans controls and diagnostic codes, but well worth it.

Looking a little narrower at the 1227747 ECM, as your particular case is, I would look at the engine cylinder count, trans type (manual or auto, and if it's auto that the trans matches, since there are some '7747 bins that were for TH400 transmissions), and then other options, like air conditioning, evap canister, etc, etc. I would also choose the latest bin for that application, since any drive-ability issues of earlier calibrations will usually be sorted out in the last known release.

As far as the latency settings go, I'm only aware of 2 or 3 different latency tables for the TBI/TPI modules. A search over at TGO in the DIY PROM forum will return those tables. I have found though that even using the wrong latency table will not be the end of the world, just that commanded timing may not be actual crank timing.

Remember: Give the engine what it wants, not what you think it needs.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    LOLOL

Sadly, I agree.........