Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody 3.8 buick v6 carb to efi, jeep guys?

Usually the tutorials for TunerPro are "How to Setup" kind of tutorials.

Do you currently own a TBI vehicle? It might be a good plan to start data logging with a TBI vehicle, and post questions to help you come up to speed.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    no unfortunetly i do not have a tbi vehicle.
    ~CHEVHEAD78~

billygraves
    I have a few to put in.
    I did warranty work on those cars/engines. Then repaired the buy backs @GM. I got those 2 bbl carbs running very good. Some things to consider BEFORE you start.
    I would run a couple of GM Top Engine Cleaner cans through the engine. They are very sensitive to carbon build up and on the back side of the intake valves. When the timing chain starches (above 45 to 50k miles) you can advance the timing a few. Run COLD delco plugs. The 2 BBL carb intake would do very well since the intake will be a wet one. I would really keep and use the EGR and the charcoal canister. The calibration, wheather 4.3 or 3.8L will have it figured into it. (I would make a alum plate and use 2 EGR gaskets and restrict the size of the plate to restrict the EGR VOLUME. They were heavy with EGR.)

If you pull the intake manifold, Always punch a few holes in the bottom of the intake gasket, which is steel pan, as Oil builds up. A GM bulletin covers this. I would highly suggest you use clear or black silicone sealer on the rubber ends in stead of the seals offered that will leak. I run a thin bead around ALL the ports on the intake gasket to seal up coolant leaks AND TO STOP the OIL from being pulled into the intake. Common problem.

Your project will run very well wit TBI. We measured 26 MPG on a 3.8L 1984 Cutlass. The cars ran well AFTER the carb was set up RIGHT AND THE UPDATED PROM was installed. I would suggest you streach the OIL pump spring to keep the pres a bit higher.
    Last edited by billygraves; 02-24-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chevhead78 View Post
    no unfortunetly i do not have a tbi vehicle.
    Well ... That's no fun.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    i do have a ta performance oil pressure plate kit to cure the oil pressure problems with these motors thanks for the heads up on the valley pan gasket never thought of punching holes in it to aid draining oil back. So you have been down the 3.8 path billy? very interested in as much as you could tell me about the setup. carb isn't running bad now have it running as good as it can have old gm spec books and it is set as it is supposed to be, but it sucks with big tires, high gears, and knowing the motor is being flooded with fuel at speed up slight grade lucky to keep 65 mph.
    ~CHEVHEAD78~

billygraves
    Things to check. There is a mullti port vacuum valve that connects to the carb bowl from GM. They were notorious for pulling raw fuel from the bowl vent port into the vac port. This ran the carb RICH. Replace it (it is part of the canister purge IF I remember right) and I always placed a 5/32 small piece of vac hose inside the bowl vent hose to restrict the volume of the vent. If you have a CCC or C-3 run the mixture @ idle at 30 degrees and at 2000 rpm at 40 degrees. Allow 5 to 6/32 travel with the mixture control sol. The carb choke 1st setting was OFF. Then all the others were off. If you set it right and take the secondary choke pull off setting a bit richer (this one pulls the choke off to far) it won't stumble.
    When you get the carb set and reduce the EGR a bit with a restrictor plate, you can add base timing and pick up power and MPG. If you put TBI on this engine the Cold starts can be leaned out a lot to save fuel. WOT set it to aprox 13.2 to 12.5 AFR. 13.2 is best but intake mixture distribution has some lean cyl therefor the 12.5.
    Pull out the 2.19 rear axle and put in a 3.23 with a 200-4R. It will pick up and run pretty well for a V-6.

If ya consider another engine transplant, try the 500 inch Cadillac. Hi torque and great power for almost stock. A 700 with a 3.42 or 373 would make this car fly pretty good. If ya could then PFI the caddy.
    Have fun.

Electronic Ignition!
    been busy replacing my kitchen but thanks for the tips billy though 500 caddy would be nice it is a rat and the 3.8 will do fine i will try the tips you mentioned when the 3.8 gets tired who knows what the replacement would be depends on whats available if i have efi setup probably inline six due to easy conversion.
    ~CHEVHEAD78~