Thread: Learning, Near Madison, WI

Learning, Near Madison, WI

Hello all!
    A lot of good information, and knowledgeable people here! I am just getting started doing research for future carburetor to TBI swaps. I have what I hope are two complete TBI systems, One from a 1987 7.4L C20, w/auto. And another from a 1987 7.4L K30, w/auto. I think I saved every thing I need except the fuel pumps, witch I plan to replace with external, may be from an 89 F250 (info that I have found on this site)
    I do not have a large budget, every thing I do is on the cheap. I enjoy welding and cobbling things together, then going out on a trail ride and going all the places the guys with the money can go.
    The two cars getting the TBI systems are a ’78 CJ5 with an AMC 360, Edelbrock Performer cam and intake. The other is 1975 Chevy 454 also with the Edelbrock Performer cam and intake, currently residing in a 78 Blazer, with 1 ton differentials and Detroit’s. Right at this moment they share a Holley 750 vacuum secondary carburetor, that works very well, I have done all the modifications I could to make it perform like the Truck Avenger. The carburetor has not let me down yet, but it has given me slight trouble on hill climes.
    I also have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) with the stock fuel injected 4.0L, I think all of these systems are OBDI, and was hoping to get started relearning (I worked as an auto mechanic at a GM dealer for ten years in the ‘90s) the ropes with a scanner on the YJ. I have found the ALDLdroid app for my phone (Motorola Defy XT556) but not sure if is compatible yet.
    Currently I am reading the TunerPro starter Tutorial. It would be nice to only have to buy one cable, but the laptop pc I used will not receive Bluetooth, so I guess I’ll need two hook ups, to use the phone and the pc.
    Any way, at this point I am registering so I can get access to the photos that go along with all the great text on this site.

Thanks
    John
    Black Earth, WI

I don't think there's any TunerPro files for the Jeep engine?

For the GM engines they are all available. PC cable is a must for tuning. Although the ALDL Droid app is coming along for the tuning end. Right now it's a conveinence of not having to have a laptop for data.

The 7.4L injectors are going to be a little big for that 4.0L engine and the bores are bigger as well and will probably be more trouble then worth. but you sure got the right TBI for the BB truck!

Start a thread for each of your projects when you need help.

Your park your jeep funny...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

The first swap will most likely be on the ’78 CJ5, 360, .030 over, with Edelbrock Performer cam and intake, stock exhaust manifolds(for now).
    I was hoping to get familiar with TurnerPro RT on the Wrangler with a 4.0L, but further research has shown me that it has a Renix (Renault electronics) system. I found this on the JeepForum
    “87-90 aren't even OBD1. They are the renix tbi system so you'll have to know your way around manually testing sensors with a voltmeter”
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Your park your jeep funny...
    That incident resulted in removing the 304 and installing the rebuilt 360. When you roll them over, all the dirt and crud that has been accumulating since 1978 doesn’t fall back into the same spots:) I think a lifter stopped rotating and wore out the cam.