Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Considering a TBI Swap

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty-Z View Post
    Tank and sending unit are different between pickup and suburban , Pump will work if you needed it to though , I would use a new pump no matter which way I went , cheap insurance. You will need to find any 88-95 LB gas pickup for the sending unit.

TOM
    There are plenty of those but I would like to put a new pump in before. Because of that I may have to use an inline to get it running, although by the time I get it all together I might have the funds for a full in-tank upgrade. I'm not gonna go through all that work to have the pump fail a week later and have to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Most all 1993 ~ 1995 GM light truck applications with an electronic overdrive automatic transmission will have the TBI PCM with Red / Blue connectors. There are three different service numbers used for the Red / Blue TBI PCM ~ 16168625, 16197427, & 16196395.

I strongly recommend using a VSS with a TBI PCM!!!

dave w
    A VSS will be used with whatever I choose assuming my VSS will jive with the computer. Could anybody tell me the advantage of using a PCM? Is it any more difficult to tune? It sounds like a good idea mostly because it's already setup for a 350 V8.

Fuel Injected!
    After a little research it looks like the PCM would probably be a worthwhile upgrade. Could anybody verify this before I go buy one tomorrow? And could anybody verify if it will work with my 2000ppm VSS signal? Will the PCM run okay without having an auto trans hooked up?

I was at the yard this morning to get a part for my car and walked by a 3rd gen Camaro with a 305. The car was mostly stripped but I grabbed the CTS because it was easy to snag. The ECM was laying on the windshield and the cover was off of it. Since the ECM was probably shot from sitting in the weather so I grabbed the NETRES. It's for a v8 automatic. Physically it's the same as the NETRES from the 7747. Any idea if these are compatible?

I fixed the broken plugs on my harness last night and finished it up. I just have to address a couple of loose wires and it will be ready to bench test. So if I give everything power and ground, when I spin the distributor I should have spark and the injectors should fire, correct? I just want to make sure all of my components are good.

Thank you for the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
    After a little research it looks like the PCM would probably be a worthwhile upgrade. Could anybody verify this before I go buy one tomorrow? And could anybody verify if it will work with my 2000ppm VSS signal? Will the PCM run okay without having an auto trans hooked up?

I was at the yard this morning to get a part for my car and walked by a 3rd gen Camaro with a 305. The car was mostly stripped but I grabbed the CTS because it was easy to snag. The ECM was laying on the windshield and the cover was off of it. Since the ECM was probably shot from sitting in the weather so I grabbed the NETRES. It's for a v8 automatic. Physically it's the same as the NETRES from the 7747. Any idea if these are compatible?

I fixed the broken plugs on my harness last night and finished it up. I just have to address a couple of loose wires and it will be ready to bench test. So if I give everything power and ground, when I spin the distributor I should have spark and the injectors should fire, correct? I just want to make sure all of my components are good.

Thank you for the help everyone.
    The TBI PCM Red / Blue wiring harness connectors will work with the 2000 PPM VSS. I would option Manual Transmission for the TBI PCM if using a TH350 / TH400 Automatic Transmission.

If everything is correctly powered / grounded, spinning the distributor will provide spark and injector pulsing.

Video shows Noid Lights being pulsed.

dave w