Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: well i finally got it started

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    A search on Summit Racing revealed 3 different cams with those duration/lift values and they varied from 268 to 296* advertised duration depending on the grind.

The powerband of that cam is probably 2,200-5,500 rpm and sounds like you are trying to run it on a stock torque converter with at best a 1,800 rpm stall converter. Then combine the fact it is in a truck and a poor match for the TBI heads, TBI intake, TBI ECM and results in a much lower DCR and it will be forever a pig off-idle and down low and be choked by the stock TBI components where it really wants to breathe up top.

I ran a 224/224* L82 grind cam in a .040" over 305 with ported 081 TPI heads with 1.94/1.60 valves, doug thorley tri-Y headers, edelbrock 3704 intake bored to 2", 454 TBI. With a 2,800 rpm converter and 3.73s it was ran well in my heavy van, but you could tell the engine really came up on cam at 3,500+ RPM. The L82 cam was 114* LSA and I advanced it to be on a 110* ICL even. Idle vacuum was only 10 in/hg @ 750 rpm with the a/c on and about 14 in/hg without the A/C. It took ALOT of tuning just to make it idle. Code 33 High Map also had to be adjusted to keep it out of limp mode.

That being said I would drop back to something like this. It would make a huge improvement in the low speed driveability and tuneability of your setup.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...make/chevrolet
    i agree with you about that new cam . i think that is the one i have in my 69 chevy truck that later i will be converting to fuel injection. i might try to do a four barrel setup on it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 View Post
    manuel 5 speed trans and yea i know the rest but i need to make due with what i have to work with. i might change out that cam a little later i just need it on the road now.
    I guess I missed this was a 5spd, being that you have an Auto BJYL calibration I assumed it was a 4L60E truck. You can raise the idle up to about 850 with the manual transmission and it will help keep it running. Once you get the fuel/spark tables closer you can probably bring the idle down to 750-800 rpm, but my experience with manual transmissions is they enjoy more idle speed.
    Last edited by Fast355; 03-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I guess I missed this was a 5spd, being that you have an Auto BJYL calibration I assumed it was a 4L60E truck. You can raise the idle up to about 850 with the manual transmission and it will help keep it running. Once you get the fuel/spark tables closer you can probably bring the idle down to 750-800 rpm, but my experience with manual transmissions is they enjoy more idle speed.

im using that bin because there is no 5.7 with manuel bins on the sites. and the idle wasnt to bad after it warmed up it was just way to rich and i am afraid i will loose some plugs soon if i dont lean it out some. i have gotten some good advice on how to handle that so hopefully next weekend i will dial it in some.

Fuel Injected!
    i love that write up on using BLM to adjust VE tables that is going to make the job much easier. i also purchased a PLX wideband o2 sensor to use later to dial it in even more. i just need to figure out how to use it and i need to weld on a bung futher down the exhaust line to put it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadknee View Post
    You have everything you need in your last datalog to adjust your VE tables to do away with the richness. Eaglemark did a great writeup here.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-data-Tutorial!

You will need to do this several times, but it will run much better after the first. Crank fuel pressure back up to 13 psi before your next datalog. Also, add 5 degrees to the entire spark table and set 400, 600, and 800 rpm rows 60 kpa and less all to 25 degrees. Open the spark graph and blend the rest of the cells to smoothen, similar to what Mark does to the fuel tables in the link above. The spark table will need more work later, but this will get you started.

I'm reasonably certain 13 psi will support that engine to 4,000 rpm. We can address that later after you get it to run better at part throttle.

Fuel Injected!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...9&d=1324307272 i got this excel file to adjust VE with BLM but this file only goes up to 1800 rpm so i used it for my near idle VE but i need to know how to change it or get a new one to go up to 6400 so i can do the off idle VE tables. it works good for the idle i am getting closer to it running smooth.

Fuel Injected!
    never mind i found it at bottom of screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 View Post
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...9&d=1324307272 i got this excel file to adjust VE with BLM but this file only goes up to 1800 rpm so i used it for my near idle VE but i need to know how to change it or get a new one to go up to 6400 so i can do the off idle VE tables. it works good for the idle i am getting closer to it running smooth.