Thread: I'm new!

Electronic Ignition! WoodButcher's Avatar

I'm new!

Hey.

Fuel Injected!
    Hello and Welcome.

dave w

Thanks guys. I here to learn a bit for my hot rod, a '93 Safari I'm going to slide a 350 under.
    The motor will be rebuilt by my ex- brother in law in the next month or so and I'm doing the TBI and transmission.
    I'm told this is the place to learn about TBI.

I can't lie, I found you through a web search for adjustable fuel pressure regulator and needed to register to see the pics,,,

Yeah well, I have my netbook hooked up to my '93 and have TunerPro RT and Datamaster 0D 3.4.1 but I'm fluent in neither so when I get the 350 in I'll need resources and this place seems to be a good one.
    Mostly you can find me at astrosafari as I'm an astroholic. Here is a thread on my '93 if your interested- http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=17922
    Thanks for having me!
    Bruce
    '97 GMC Safari, work van, 4.3 CSFI work van
    '93 Safari, (my hot rod) 355, TBI
    My build thread engine swap starts here-
    http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic...rt=100#p537417

Pictures of something fun to look at?

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lol,,, yours Dave? pretty stuff.
    For me that would be only a "lookin' at car", sweet work.
    I figure I must have a cloud following me a few hours behind, if I wash a car or tear open a roof it is bound to rain or snow. My work truck I've taken to washing on rainy days. It saves time in toweling dry and I don't feel bad that my new wash is spotted...

edit- that was your post about the adjustable fpr...
    Last edited by WoodButcher; 02-21-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    Lol,,, yours Dave? pretty stuff.
    For me that would be only a "lookin' at car", sweet work.
    I figure I must have a cloud following me a few hours behind, if I wash a car or tear open a roof it is bound to rain or snow. My work truck I've taken to washing on rainy days. It saves time in toweling dry and I don't feel bad that my new wash is spotted...

edit- that was your post about the adjustable fpr...
    No not mine. It's a RamJet 502 with the MEFI computer I'm helping out with. I originally posted the Cadillac pics in this tread...http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ngine-Computer

The adjustable fuel pressure regulator thread...http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...sure-Regulator

I'm thinking the vacuum adjustable fuel pressure regulator would work better with the 30 psi 454 spring.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 02-21-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'm thinking the vacuum adjustable fuel pressure regulator would work better with the 30 psi 454 spring.

dave w
    I'd really like to find the 30psi spring and the marine spring bucket if someone could help find them.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    I'd really like to find the 30psi spring and the marine spring bucket if someone could help find them.
    PM sent.

dave w

That sounds interesting Dave unfortunately ATM probably outside my realm but I sure would like more info.

You see I am not a mechanic, I've done minor repair, gone as far as the lower intake gasket of my '97 4.3 and maintenance of all my vehicles throughout my years (I'm 52) but for the most part I'm a parts changer. I've swapped transmissions and rear ends, steering boxes and suspensions and as a kid help change a few engines but still never really learned the internal workings. My knowledge comes from needing a ride and not being able to afford someone else's services, thanks to the web and sites like this I have been able to expand my abilities but I am still quite limited
    My plan for the '93 I have are very basic. I bought a donor van w/ the 350 of the same year pulled the motor, harness and trans, all should swap with minimal alterations. The motor mounts, and accessories, I'll buy headers, build the exhaust and a new radiator w/ elec fans.
    The motor goes to my BIL to be rebuilt, I my eyes this guy is a top wrench, a GM hot rodder for years he has built some serious engines, has the facility, tools and know how but most of all I trust him. He should be starting in a week or two and we'll see what goes into the motor after it has been stripped and dipped.
    My goal is like every other hot rodder, I want the biggest, baddest motor for free.
    Well, I've been talking with him about this for a few years, he did one into an S-10 and if IRC it was about $6,000 but it was a full on race motor, way out of my budget. I'll do the install here at home but again I have my limitations.
    I need to pass emissions here in CT, I want to avoid getting a chip for the present, for now just an added complication and cost. What my BIL spoke about was a complete rebuild w/ upgraded parts, pistons, crank and cam, a step or two up from stock but still within the limits of the stock chip for a starting budget around $2,500 including his labor. It sounds pretty good to me.
    This is just for the engine rebuild and includes nothing for the install so I need to watch my nickels and dimes, it all adds up and for a carpenter in New England in winter things get pretty tight.
    I'll do the ultimate TBI mod myself, it looks pretty easy and I plan to rebuild the trans myself. The 4L60E is fairly common and I've found several upgrade kits to be had. These are things I've never attempted before but with the abundance of reference material available I don't see any big problems.
    I need to get a gas tank for my welder and learn to burn clean welds, I've got the exhaust and motor mounts to tackle in this swap but also want to do some cosmetic goodies like shortening the rear bumper and hide the hitch. Like every one else the list goes on and on.

As I said in the first line I would like that info about the vacuum afpr, t may be worth doing now if it isn't to complex for my feeble old mind...
    With luck I'll have this going by summer.
    Bruce

From my personal experience, a stock engine works great with a stock chip.

In my humble opinion; for a non stock engine there is only ONE ultimate TBI modification required. See attached picture.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey! hey hey!! I'm tellin' mom! just cause you're a mod doesn't mean you can troll!,,,,,,
    Yeah, in time I'll see if I can't find someone local to me willing to play for a modest sum otherwise I'll be forced to deal with mail order trolls!

Seriously though I've seen a thread or two where mail order was done but very few details. I know very little about chipping but it seems to me this is something best done hands on, am I right? done mail order there would be more guessing than fine tune, no?
    What can I expect for costs?
    IIRC I saw a web page from an outfit that traveled around to shows and events that would book an appointment with you in advance and the total cost was in the $300 range, does that sound right? would something like that be worthwhile? once their gone you don't have a shop to go to for adjustments and tweaks or can these be done after the fact with a cable?
    I'm an hour north of NYC so I should be able to find a local shop but honestly at this point I don't even know what to look for or avoid.
    Bruce

I don't know what the local "Tuning" prices are in your area. Generally, OBD 1 / TBI is not well supported, compared to OBD II. For someone local to me, my TBI custom tune ranges in price from $175 ~ $250. Myself and others here at gearhead-efi.com have helped several members with remote tuning. The most important thing for anyone with a performance TBI engine is having the ability to data log. The data log is how tuners like myself and others, figure out what corrections to make to the chip for the best possible performance. To data log only two pieces of hardware are required, Laptop and Serial Cable (which range in price from $45 ~ $70). The data logging software is available as freeware, but the $39 donation is greatly appreciated!

You already have a running / driving TBI vehicle? Maybe a good place to start would be with data logging the running / driving TBI vehicle you have on the road?

dave w

yep, yep, the 4.3 in my '93, OBD1. It runs fine now, I'm just putting a few more cubes under the hood.

I have my netbook hooked up to my '93 and have TunerPro RT and Datamaster 0D 3.4.1 but I'm fluent in neither
    I need to do a little learnin' with it, get TunerPro up and running. I've got data Master logging but still I'm clueless.
    I'd like to blame it on Alzheimer's but that wouldn't fly. alcohol? nah,,, quit back in '95. hmm maybe I'm just lazy...
    Bruce

Can you post the DataMaster log file (.uni)? I don't think your lazy, maybe need a study partner / mentor?

dave w