Thread: For Historical Reference

Administrator

For Historical Reference

Digging through some old software today, I discovered a few relics.

Mastertune, sold by TTS. Steve Cole, Tunercat, and ecmguy worked together on this one. These shots are main spark table and all we had for ECM constants for a 92 TBI pickup. This was about a $600 piece of software and there were versions specific to different engine families and injections systems, i.e. TBI camaros, TPI Camaros and some Vettes, etc.

GMEPro by Terry Kelly. Lotsa tables in this software. AFAIK, Terry worked a lot of this stuff out independently. He had many of the GM phrases correct, like "N/V ratio," so he must have had access to GM docs at some point. Check out the disclaimer on the opening screen. GMEPro and Terry just faded away.

Promedit, a freebie. The start of configurable .ecu files. All DOS and hardcore. Lotsa typing and configuring to make it work. It was the first freebie that I know of with 3D graphing. Can't screen capture the graphing, though.

Winbin and Carprom don't run on this machine. Carprom wasn't all that good, just a graphic representation of .bin data. It might help you find tables but there was no definition file, no scalars, nothing. It cost over $1000. 5 guys including myself got together and pitched in on it, and it turns out we could get better results from a shareware hex editor. Winbin was one of the first windows based tools for free and it used .ecu files also. I also have gmpcm here with several definition files. The author of that software wasn't customer friendly although I believe he did have access to GM data judging by the number of tunable values and the level of detail included.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: For Historical Reference

IiLOL'd: I love the disclaimer and the copyright.

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Great disclaimer... wonder if we should have that as out moto here!

Thank God for TunerPro...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I have only gotten into tuning in the last year. Very interesting to see some of the older stuff, and makes me really appreciate tunerpro!!!
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Really makes me appriciate the pioneers who cracked this hex code so we can play and enjoy today! I have read some old DIY-EFI email lists and there were some very intelegent people working on this. If I remember corecttly the DIY-EFI mailing list and origanal website had to do with internet way back before anyone thought of using a computer at Ohio State University.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I have or at least had a copy of Tuner Pro v3.

I installed it on a computer not long ago, just to compare to V4 and V5, and wow, a lot had changed.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator

During the code cracking days you would make one code change at a time, run the new cal through a DOS checksum utility, then try it in an ecm and look for observable results. Of course everything was typed so you got really good at remembering long strings to type in, and utilities like doskey which allowed you to press the "up" arrow were an awesome help. Win 95 / 98 was still DOS based but it sure would mess up some of the utilities trying to switch back and forth between windows and DOS screens, so it was just easier to have multiple PC's running.

I remember there was one guy using sound editing software for changing his calibrations. He'd rename them to a .wav extension then make the changes graphically. It was good for fast changes to a large table. I always laughed to think he might have to amplify the volume of a main VE table in order to get enough fuel.