Thread: issue with swap

Fuel Injected!

issue with swap

Camaro 3.4 with the Camaros DIS and injectors. running a 3.1 lumina harness and 7727 ecm.

ive got fuekl and fire, but its kicking back against the starter and backfiring through the exhaust or throttle body like its out of time.

engine is wired just like it would be in a lumina.

it ran when I pulled it in, just incredibly badly. poor throttle response, very difficult hot restart, poor fuel economy.

repair was to correct the severly hacked/melted harness from prior attempts at repairs by other mechanics, and where the harness was aginst the headers.

now, I cant get it to fire.

any ideas?

Have you tried starting it on base timing (bypass wire disconnected) yet?

Checked the firing order? Coils placed on the ICM in the right order (regarding the marked OEM coils)?

Only thing I can think of, provided everything electrically is correct, is that the cam timing might be off.

If the Camaro crank trigger is being used, there's no adjustment to make it do what you describe, so I don't know that I would look there, other than maybe pulling out an O-scope and watching the signal on crank.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    im not sure there is a bypass wire. if so, where? ive been over every inch of this harness and didn't see it. firing order wasn't changed. didn't ,mess with the coil packs.

Camaro crank sensor is being used as the lumina low res crank position sensor. same way I did it 4 years ago.

The tan/black wire, it's called a bypass wire, it's used in both the dizzy equipped and DIS 660 style EFI. The DIS don't have a connector, but serve the same purpose, disconnect that wire and you are on base timing.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    just did. same results.

Fuel Injected!
    it almost acts like its 180 out. is it possible that somehow, someway I swapped the two wires to the cps? or wiuld it work either way?

also, still having trouble getting tunerpro v5 connecting. says da connecting, but never does. using the $a1 adx and ads

I think im walking away for the night.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
    Camaro crank sensor is being used as the lumina low res crank position sensor. same way I did it 4 years ago.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
    it ran when I pulled it in, just incredibly badly. poor throttle response, very difficult hot restart, poor fuel economy.
    = Hmmmm? Wonder if the Camaro crank sensor is correct? Part numbers same as Lumina?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Yeah, the Camaro crank sensor is the same, or at least it will work.

I'd be looking over what was changed. You said it ran when you pulled it in, albeit rough, but now it doesn't run at all. Maybe something got missed, or crossed in the re-vamp.

Fuel Injected!
    turned out that the cps was bad AND i had the polarity reversed to it.

thanks for the help. just got it fired up.