Thread: The tuning has come to a halt.

Fuel Injected!

The tuning has come to a halt.

Well, as I thought, transmission issues WILL affect tuning.

I knew I was looking at a potential transmission issue, but the symptom was so minor that it damn near took beating it a little more than I wanted to get the condition to occur more noticeably.

In any case, the transmission needs a rebuild.

Best part of it is that I am going to do it myself and it will be my first.

I picked up a spare tranny from a 91 camaro about a year ago and it has sat in the garage. This afternoon, in a matter of two hours, I had the tranny tore down to it's basic parts within two hours.

Now on to ordering parts!

If you haven't done so yet, a ATRA or ATSG manual is extremely helpful for you first time. You can get them for around $25. I assume it is a 700R4/4L60 considering it is from a 91 Camaro. There is also some really good videos on YouTube from Hiram Gutierrez that covers a lot. There was also a ATRA manual floating around on some forums that has some good stuff in it. This link should so right to it if you are interested.
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/m...M%20700R4).pdf

These transmissions are fairly easy to rebuild and if you have good components and do the basic upgrades and everything is within spec, you can get a lot of life out of them.

Happy rebuilding!!

Barry

Fuel Injected!
    Somewhere, on some drive, I have a pdf of some pretty thorough manual. Will be trying to locate that this weekend.

It appears that the only apparent problems with that 91, (is a 700r4, not a 4l60e), is finding the 1-2 accumulator spring snapped in half and the speedo drive gear cracked.

The clutches look like standard issue, but in decent shape.

I plan on just replacing it all and starting with new kit and torque converter.

I just rebuilt one that had 185,000 on it and the clutches looked good yet even though some of them are prone to failure. I also had the broken accumulator spring, and the big thing was the rear planetary bearing failed, wiped out the rear planetary set. Sounds like a good plan!

Barry

Fuel Injected!
    So far, everything looked better than what the transmission fluid showed. Lots of dark matter in it.

Doesn't matter though as I am going to order a high energy kit, a new torque converter and a shift kit.

Might as well do it right, or that is what I am hoping for.

My only concern is not seeing drawings/pictures that show where the check balls go exactly. Should not be difficult to figure out though.

Super Moderator
    i might be able to grab that diagram, should you need it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Checkball locations are available in the atsg/atra books. the following is a list of "must haves" when rebuilding a 700.

1. Input sprag
    2. 700 Jr. Kit by Transgo
    3. Corvette servo-will improve 1-2 and 2-3 shifts
    4. I build mine with 4L60E late 3-4 frictions, steels, apply plate and pressure plate.

if u want a decent priced small (2000 approx stall) converter grab a DBF coded B-29 converter
    Any questiond feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    If I had to guess, I'd bet this spare tranny has been rebuilt at some point ant time because all the friction plates and the 2-4 band look really good. I won't be using them though.

The sprag gears are nice and tight, but need to gauge the clearances.

Plan on doing a new torque converter, but I'm not racing this truck. I just want a good daily driver that can haul and drive the desert when I need.

Oh, 3.4 engine with 3.73 rear, do I need anything outside of a stock converter?

Is that a Dacco B29 converter?

Quote Originally Posted by buddrow View Post
    Checkball locations are available in the atsg/atra books. the following is a list of "must haves" when rebuilding a 700.

1. Input sprag
    2. 700 Jr. Kit by Transgo
    3. Corvette servo-will improve 1-2 and 2-3 shifts
    4. I build mine with 4L60E late 3-4 frictions, steels, apply plate and pressure plate.

if u want a decent priced small (2000 approx stall) converter grab a DBF coded B-29 converter
    Any questiond feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Buddrow
    +1 on this stuff, also, watch out for Chinese junk, it plagues that market place these days.

I have a ton of stuff on the 4L60/4L60e, while I am far from an expert on them, if you need help with anything I might be able to help or help point you in the right direction.

Barry