Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need ideas for 4 cylinder DIS underhood ECM project?

Re: Need ideas for 4 cylinder DIS underhood ECM project?

The 22R dizzy trigger is compatible with a GM ICM. Lucky is running his 22R in his Land Rover this way.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator

I was going to run my 7749 on the Yota dizzy trigger. GM modules are pretty tolerant of different input signals. I knew a guy that used to trigger a GM module with one wire from a Ford Y block dizzy. I triggered one using the coil trigger wire of a Datsun pickup. In the early days one of the tests was to put a soldering gun within 2" of the module and pull the trigger. With 12V and gnd applied, the module would start triggering the coil at 60Hz.

Wow dave, you do some really nice work! There is a lack of good machine shops around here that will do small one off projects like this stuff.
    Is the crank trigger wheel for the northstar dis system something you can do too?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns
    Wow dave, you do some really nice work! There is a lack of good machine shops around here that will do small one off projects like this stuff.
    Is the crank trigger wheel for the northstar dis system something you can do too?
    Yes, I able to CAD just about any type of EFI trigger (Cam / Crank / Sensor). I do the CAD on my work computer, off the clock of course. My employer has several different approved machine shops for the prototype development work I'm involved with. I will be up front, the CNC machine time is expensive! I'm only a hobby machinist on manual lathe / mills. I hand off my CAD designs to the Pro's!

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

When I built my DIS parts I did everything myself until it came to adding notches to the wheel. I just couldn't get the consistency I wanted when measuring for placement. I brought it to a guy with a pretty expensive machine that was able to do a lot of time consuming work in a hurry. All I had to do was tell him how many degrees bet. the notches, how many deg. across the notches, and where I wanted the notches to start, and he did the rest.

Dave, are you just showing the cam sensor, or did you use a cam sensor in a DIS + TBI application?

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many
    Dave, are you just showing the cam sensor, or did you use a cam sensor in a DIS + TBI application?
    I am showing a custom designed cam sensor and crank sensor for a Non-GM use of a 12200411 PCM. The '0411 PCM is a flash MPFI computer from the LSx family of engines. The though I am sharing is, with some planned design work, it would be possible to adapt the cam / crank / sensor triggers form one type of GM engine family to another GM engine family or even to a completely different engine manufacture. The DIS system could be adapted to almost any engine application with a custom designed cam / crank / sensor trigger system and an ECM with a definition file able to support DIS.

dave w

Administrator

I am showing a custom designed cam sensor and crank sensor for a Non-GM use of a 12200411 PCM.
    For non GM use of a few different OBDII pcm's, actually. Thanks.

Most of the P4 ecm's will do single or twin injector tbi or pfi with no troubles. And GM engineers did us a wonderful favor by making the DIS systems compatible with hardware and code originally intended for distributors. Much of what we are using from early 90s ecm's was developed in the late '70s and early '80s. The only real trick to a DIS swap is putting a crank wheel and sensor on the engine that's compatible in signal type and timing with the DIS module. The required timing can be determined from code if a calibration can be obtained, or from the hardware by actual measurement. Once you do a DIS swap you'll realize how easy they are.

I mentioned years ago on GMECM that (2) four cylinder DIS modules could be used on the same 7 notch trigger wheel if the crank sensors were 90 degrees apart. The technical problem there is ensuring the EST pulse is sent to the correct module at the correct time. At first I thought a CMP sensor and some timing circuitry was needed but today I realize a simple flip-flop triggered by the REF pulses should work just fine. If REF is triggered by module A, send EST to module A. When REF is triggered by module B, flip EST to module B. The REF pulses are 90 degrees apart so as long as ignition timing is never greater than 90 degrees, things should be ok. And if you're looking for a cool way to do V8 ignition, twin 4 cylinder DIS adaptations are pretty rare indeed.

Twin four cylinder DIS would look cool as well. One on each valve cover. Got to be cheaper in the end. But one LS coil per cylinder is easier. Lots of them available as LS engine owners have $$ for shiney red MSD coils...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Not to drag up an old thread, But did you get this working? What pcm would work best?