Thread: GQ-4X Programmer from MCUMALL.com Review!

GQ-4X Programmer from MCUMALL.com Review!

Well I've been wanting to be able to burn stock chips for 1227747, maybe others... so I went looking for ancient technology and found the GQ-4X programmer from MCUMALL.com. It's an updated USB version of the old Willem chip Burner.

The advertising is great, totally USB compatible with Windows including Windows 7. Does just about every chip, no adapters needed for chips up to 40 pins. Adapters needed for chips other than chips we are used to seeing in automotive.

Well the first thing I saw when I opened it was a USB port and a power port? Even though I asked them and they said no power adapter will be needed for 2732a chips. So I was a little confused...

Note on packaging said install software before plugging in programmer. So I tried but when reading the read me files it only had instructions up to Windows Vista. Directions were up to Windows Vista and don't work for Windows 7 even the latest manual only goes to Windows Vista. Six Shooter informed me that drivers for Windows Vista are same as Windows 7 so I went ahead and installed the software, then went in to update driver and it all worked. So the documentation needs an upgrade although it installed fine on Windows 7.

It does read 2732a chips, it reads, erases and writes 27F512 chips. When I tried to program a AMD2732a chip which is stock GM it said I may need power supply if write fails. But write did not fail. So it will write 2732a chips, verified and then did a compare in TunerPro.

I am interested in ST2732a chip because of advice given here and it is still available new, it is what Hypertech, SuperChip and JetChip use for their aftermarket chips. So I took an old SuperChip ST2732a chip and UV erased it. Put it in the GQ-4x programmer, selected device and chose the ST2732a chip. First thing it said was "External Power Supply Needed" ? But I tried anyway and it did write the chip! I compared it in TunerPro and all looked good. So I saved it as hex and compared it to stock bin file hex and it was identical? So it works? When I contacted them about this they indacated that an external power supply is only needed for USB hubs that are un-powered.

Here's a link to the programmer. Don't buy from there unless your in Canada, the shipping to US is killer. They have a US affiliate and their products are on eBay.
    http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/c ... oduct=4282

So for $100. shipped to the door I have to give this a thumbs up!
    Does everything we need to do for automotive chip tuning and about a thousand other chips. Only issues that came up were not even issues, the documentation is a little behind and the software says external power needed for 2732a? Both were wrong. It works great as is!

[attachment=0:3u6bfxzv]GQ-4X.jpg[/attachment:3u6bfxzv]
    Attached Images Attached Images

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Re: GQ-4X Programmer from MCUMALL.com Review!

Some EPROMs, due to the voltage needed might require an external power supply. If you burn out your USB port, don't go blaming the programmer. ;) The USB port is only 5V and 500 mA. Trying to bump that up to 21 V will draw a LOT of current from the USB port, The GQ-3X also has a power port, but is only needed for the EPROMS that require a higher voltage to program, as well.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

That's probably why it worked then, Vista Drivers are the same. There instructions do need a update, there were many more problems then that because they were all geared towards Vista. I ended up installing the drivers manually. Even the latast manual on the website was updated in 2009 and Vista is last OS. But in the end if you just ignore the instructions and install the software it works fine on Windows 7.

Well since USB is only 5 volt I think I will stop using it till I get a power supply. I did question them before I bought it, answer was no. EDIT: They responded and confirmed what they told me origanally, no power supply needed, only needed on older unpowered USB hubs.

Now there is a voltage test in the software and it passed all voltages? When preforming the test the VCC light and VPP light came on! So is the software outdated? Does the new programmer have ability to boost voltage? We will see what happens when they answer my email. I'd much rather have an external power supply then burn out a USB port. It's only $10. Looks like a phone charger.
    Specification:
    -Input: AC 100V-240V 50/60Hz
    -Output: DC 9V, 600mA OR 1A
    -Weight: <70g
    -Plug: 2.1mm, center positive.

In the end it looks to be a good programmer. Documentation needs work, had I not been computor literate and just installed the software it works just fine. But I read the Read Me file and tried to follow directions and none made sense because it was all worded for Windows Vista.

[attachment=0:1vji830t]GQ-4X_voltage.jpg[/attachment:1vji830t]
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

I got a reply from them today:
    The 2732A does not need any adapter.

The power adapter is optional, you do not have to use it as long as you can write the chip correctly.

The power adapter is required when the programmer connected via a unpowered USB hub.

The user guide for both Windows VISA and Windows 7 are the same.

Best Regards.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

-= =-

i bought the GQ-3X and it works great,2732 and 27sf512 no problems(after i figured out the offsets.I can even reprogram the 2716 chips in my old midland 2way radios

Fuel Injected!
    I've got a GQ-3X, and have made several orders through mcumall.com for various adapters over the years. Great company, good product, fair prices.

Carb and Points!
    I am also using the gq-4 and i have to say that is the best value for money programmer.

Fuel Injected!
    newest version software on their web sight 6.23.

I see some others having good luck and leaving feedback so figured I'd uipdate.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Some EPROMs, due to the voltage needed might require an external power supply. If you burn out your USB port, don't go blaming the programmer. ;) The USB port is only 5V and 500 mA. Trying to bump that up to 21 V will draw a LOT of current from the USB port, The GQ-3X also has a power port, but is only needed for the EPROMS that require a higher voltage to program, as well.
    There is some truth to this. After using the Gq-4x for 2 years on one laptop I never had issues with burning chips without a External Power supply. Well that all changed when I changed laptops. Chip burn went fine and the lights all did the same thing but chip was no good? Took a while to figure out but broke out the old laptop and it worked fine! So I bought the wall wart power supply and it now works on all laptops I tested it on.

-= =-