Thread: GQ-4X Programmer from MCUMALL.com Review!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GQ-4X Programmer from MCUMALL.com Review!

Well I've been wanting to be able to burn stock chips for 1227747, maybe others... so I went looking for ancient technology and found the GQ-4X programmer from MCUMALL.com. It's an updated USB version of the old Willem chip Burner.

The advertising is great, totally USB compatible with Windows including Windows 7. Does just about every chip, no adapters needed for chips up to 40 pins. Adapters needed for chips other than chips we are used to seeing in automotive.

Well the first thing I saw when I opened it was a USB port and a power port? Even though I asked them and they said no power adapter will be needed for 2732a chips. So I was a little confused...

Note on packaging said install software before plugging in programmer. So I tried but when reading the read me files it only had instructions up to Windows Vista. Directions were up to Windows Vista and don't work for Windows 7 even the latest manual only goes to Windows Vista. Six Shooter informed me that drivers for Windows Vista are same as Windows 7 so I went ahead and installed the software, then went in to update driver and it all worked. So the documentation needs an upgrade although it installed fine on Windows 7.

It does read 2732a chips, it reads, erases and writes 27F512 chips. When I tried to program a AMD2732a chip which is stock GM it said I may need power supply if write fails. But write did not fail. So it will write 2732a chips, verified and then did a compare in TunerPro.

I am interested in ST2732a chip because of advice given here and it is still available new, it is what Hypertech, SuperChip and JetChip use for their aftermarket chips. So I took an old SuperChip ST2732a chip and UV erased it. Put it in the GQ-4x programmer, selected device and chose the ST2732a chip. First thing it said was "External Power Supply Needed" ? But I tried anyway and it did write the chip! I compared it in TunerPro and all looked good. So I saved it as hex and compared it to stock bin file hex and it was identical? So it works? When I contacted them about this they indacated that an external power supply is only needed for USB hubs that are un-powered.

Here's a link to the programmer. Don't buy from there unless your in Canada, the shipping to US is killer. They have a US affiliate and their products are on eBay.
    http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/c ... oduct=4282

So for $100. shipped to the door I have to give this a thumbs up!
    Does everything we need to do for automotive chip tuning and about a thousand other chips. Only issues that came up were not even issues, the documentation is a little behind and the software says external power needed for 2732a? Both were wrong. It works great as is!

[attachment=0:3u6bfxzv]GQ-4X.jpg[/attachment:3u6bfxzv]
    Attached Images Attached Images

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-