Thread: wierd issue with HDD protection

wierd issue with HDD protection

I just want to throw this out there for people in case they run into this issue. A week ago my data logging laptop gave up the ghost and the lcd went out. not being cost effective to fix I bought a new to me laptop. Its a toshiba A505 with a bad hard drive. after replacing the hard drive and reloading the factory software and tuner pro I went out and started datalogging again. after a couple days of logging and making corrections I started to notice the tune was getting worse not better. upon futher inspection of my logs I found breaks in the time sometimes 2 seconds or more of data was missing. I tried different ADX files, multiple reboots, and differnet drivers. about fed up with this laptop after banging my head against it for 2 days straight I smacked the keyboard while trying to record data, low and behold the log paused for a second so I smacked it again and the same thing happened. after further research I found this laptop has a HDD protection program running on it that was parking the heads of the hard drive when it detected vibration (assuming bumps in the road). from the manufactures site:
    "Using the acceleration sensor built in the PC, HDD Protection detects vibration, shocks and similar signs in the PC, and automatically moves the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) head to a safe position to reduce the risk of damage that could be caused by head-to-disk contact."
    To make a long story short if you have this feature it would be wise to disable it while datalogging if you have a rough riding vehicle...
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Super Moderator
    you would think they would simply cache to RAM during these events.....

but yes, this has been seen before and has caused some interesting issues to come about.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Good to know! First time I've heard of intermittent HD protection though, usually when it is entered it is a shutdown!

I like my Solid State HD...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Good to know! First time I've heard of intermittent HD protection though, usually when it is entered it is a shutdown!

I like my Solid State HD...
    I haven't seen that particular reaction, but my Lenovo had this ability and it did cause lost data while logging. I try to make sure this feature is disabled on any laptop I have or new OS installation, when I remember to... lol

I'm waiting for the 1TB SSD to come down to a reasonable price before getting a dedicated SSD for my laptop. I might get a 240 or 500 GB SSD and then a HDD carrier to replace my optical drive as an alternative...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    you would think they would simply cache to RAM during these events.....

but yes, this has been seen before and has caused some interesting issues to come about.
    thats what I thought too. expecially since I have 8Gb of readyboost cache and a hybrid 1TB drive with 8GB of SSD in it.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,