Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: K1500 4.3 to 7.4 swap

Fuel Injected!

Thanks!!!!

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all your ideas. I'll let you know how this works. Goodnight.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" -Ben Franklin

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Guys!!!!

Great news She's running great, idle good, data streaming with 7.4 memcal in G1 still have CEL I believe I ran a datalog can I post it somewhere to have someone look at it and decipher it for me?
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" -Ben Franklin

It's about time!

When you click the reply, look at bottom of box for Go Advanced. Then at bottom of that you will see attachment manager and can attach the TunerPro .xdl file you recorded.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!

7.4 K1500ss4x4

Thanks EagleMark I uploaded 2 files 1 at idle mostly the onter with some rpms I know I need a knock sensor and will get it tonight 1 question the v6 has 2 knock sensorsI believe in series the 7.4 only uses 1 this should function ok right? ( the harness has 2 knock sensor plugs on it.

Thanks Bobby
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by K1500ss4x4 View Post
    1 question the v6 has 2 knock sensorsI believe in series the 7.4 only uses 1 this should function ok right? ( the harness has 2 knock sensor plugs on it.

Thanks Bobby
    Ran into that on my swap also. Just use one sensor. Tape up, or do away with the other connector on the harness.

Fuel Injected!
    Well, I road tested her today and it does shift, but when you get on it, the transmission flares and the engine goes way beyond redline, pegs the tach needle any other ideas out there?

Could this be due to the 4L80E memcal?
    Last edited by K1500ss4x4; 02-04-2014 at 03:11 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Woods View Post
    Ran into that on my swap also. Just use one sensor. Tape up, or do away with the other connector on the harness.
    Thanks for that Woods, I was kinda thinking in that direction.

Well, I road tested her today and it does shift, but when you get on it, the transmission flares and the engine goes way beyond redline, pegs the tach needle any other ideas out there?

I don't think the 4L80E Memcal is the issue. I'm using a 4L80E Memcal for the 7.4 / 4L60E conversion I did.

dave w

There's nothing in the Memcal that effects transmission except the chip/bin file!

Or an issue with the trans? Did you say it's new? Does not mean it's correct...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    There's nothing in the Memcal that effects transmission except the chip/bin file!

Or an issue with the trans? Did you say it's new? Does not mean it's correct...
    It's about 1 yr old bought it knowing I was going to do this transplant worked fine with the v6. The rev limiter didn't work either.

Thanks EagleMark I uploaded 2 files 1 at idle mostly the onter with some rpms I know I need a knock sensor and will get it tonight 1 question the v6 has 2 knock sensorsI believe in series the 7.4 only uses 1 this should function ok right? ( the harness has 2 knock sensor plugs on it.

Thanks Bobby
    I looked at the second file and all looks pretty darn good!

Except for a constant 4* of knock retard and we know why... the knock error is also set.

TIP: When you do a log for tuning start with engine at total warm up! It was still climbing when the log ended.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!

Is it flaring during the 1-2 shift or is it slipping while driving. I could not keep a 700r4/4L60E together behind a mild 350, much less a 454. Just personal experience here. At the minimum I would make for sure it has an 093 servo in it and check the line pressure with the transmission connector unplugged. I like 230-240 psi of line pressure with the case connector unplugged at 2,000 rpm.

As long as you are running a $0D based .bin and its not in LHM its not the memcal causing your issue.

You are probably needing to remap the line pressure tables much more aggressively than stock. Also you may end up needing to start the shift at a lower rpm than a stock 350. Might also have to reduce the timing in the cell closest to the RPM you shift at at WOT to kill some torque. What I mean by that is if you are shifting at say 4,400 rpm, you would make you 4,800+ RPM timing cells substantially lower than your 4,000 rpm cell to cause the timing to retard right as the rpm hits the shift point. I have alot of experience trying to bandaid a 4L60E in a high torque, heavy vehicle application.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-04-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Helllo There!

Guess what the flare was? The rear tires breaking loose! I can't keep traction when I get on it! This thing is a beast I'm going to have to get grippier tires!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Is it flaring during the 1-2 shift or is it slipping while driving. I could not keep a 700r4/4L60E together behind a mild 350, much less a 454. Just personal experience here. At the minimum I would make for sure it has an 093 servo in it and check the line pressure with the transmission connector unplugged. I like 230-240 psi of line pressure with the case connector unplugged at 2,000 rpm.

As long as you are running a $0D based .bin and its not in LHM its not the memcal causing your issue.

You are probably needing to remap the line pressure tables much more aggressively than stock. Also you may end up needing to start the shift at a lower rpm than a stock 350. Might also have to reduce the timing in the cell closest to the RPM you shift at at WOT to kill some torque. What I mean by that is if you are shifting at say 4,400 rpm, you would make you 4,800+ RPM timing cells substantially lower than your 4,000 rpm cell to cause the timing to retard right as the rpm hits the shift point. I have alot of experience trying to bandaid a 4L60E in a high torque, heavy vehicle application.
    Hi Fast355 thanks for the reply!

This had a 4.3Lv6 not a 350 v8 in it
    Guess what the flare was? The rear tires breaking loose! I can't keep traction when I get on it! This thing is a beast I'm going to have to get grippier tires!

I think you're right about the shift points I need to change them how would I go about doing that?

Fuel Injected!
    Hello everyone!

A quick update on the 454ss4x4 project. I've been driving it for a few days now and it's doing really well brought to a trans shop to double check after he took it out for a test drive the guy said "Man this truck is sweet" The one thing I came upon while browsing sites was the year of the bin files might matter the bin I used was for a 1994 4l60e but I have a 1995 will that make a difference?