Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Correct Knock Sensor

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've used the 454 adapter without plumbing the engine coolant through the adapter without problems, but I live in an area that does not see real cold weather. The 454 adapter can sometimes be a bargain for a budget, but might have hood clearance problems. Seeing you have the 454 adapter already, and have the hood clearance, I'd say use it. I don't think there is any real noticeable difference in performance between the 454 adapter and an aftermarket adapter.

The only caution I would mention is the TBI fuel air mixture does not like flowing over the primary / secondary dividers of a quadrajet intake manifold.

Many of the aftermarket TBI adapters position the TBI throttle body above the quadrajet secondary openings.

dave w
    Yeah I don't know yet if i have a clearance issue. So is the water jacket just to prevent TB icing or does it help with fuel atomization?

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Besides being UGLY? They are prone to vacuum leaks and the also mentioned hood clearance...
    Ugly?? Man i think its a work of art! Besides it gets buried under an air cleaner anyway

Quote Originally Posted by alsalp View Post
    Yeah I don't know yet if i have a clearance issue. So is the water jacket just to prevent TB icing or does it help with fuel atomization?
    I'm thinking the water jacket is to prevent throttle body icing. The original 454 intake manifold, the adapter was designed for, helped with fuel atomization.

The attached pictures of a TBI to Spreadbore adapter I designed in CAD. The actual part is CNC machined from 1/2" thick billet aluminum, so it does not LEAK vacuum!!!

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Electronic Ignition!
    Cool!

FYI, I have some Knock Sensor Part Numbers I measured from Oreilly Auto Parts:

1991 Chevy 350 truck:
    with AT, S8011 ~4 K ohm
    with MT, S8012 ~100 K ohm (same as the AT junkyard trucks I measured BTW)