Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Port injection or dual tbi???

Fuel Injected!
    I am considering using an old holley main body thats been modded for a economical solution using a single 4bbl manifold. But its still in the idea stage like everything else so...
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    DIS would not be that difficult. Using the Northstar DIS it would be a single wheel solution, with some tweaking of settings in the BIN.
    Six, I assume one could use the northstar dis to run satellite coils? Like say use a LS type coil setup or "gulp" a ford modular v8 type coil mounted to a bracket/ground plane to each cylinder while running only "control" wires to each coil instead of having a bunch of plug wires. Just a thought for something different. Could maybe use shielded cable to the coils to cut down on emi? And yes it would still be waste spark system just not have all the plug wires. They always seem ugly to me.

Super Moderator
    i believe he did just that for a 6 cylinder application using the 60V6 DIS ICM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    Hehe :D

Quote Originally Posted by buddrow View Post
    Six, I assume one could use the northstar dis to run satellite coils? Like say use a LS type coil setup or "gulp" a ford modular v8 type coil mounted to a bracket/ground plane to each cylinder while running only "control" wires to each coil instead of having a bunch of plug wires. Just a thought for something different. Could maybe use shielded cable to the coils to cut down on emi? And yes it would still be waste spark system just not have all the plug wires. They always seem ugly to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    That is correct, and while idle and cruise was great, I would say even improved over using the GM coils and plug wires, I had an issue with higher RPM/load, that spark would be blown out. I have not had a chance to figure whether it was a dwell issue or a current issue. I do plan to get back to testing it, but school takes a lot of time right now.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Which coils are you using?

IIRC they were Ford 5.2 coils.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I assume you mean 5.4l right? ;)

im looking at both the ford and gm cop/cnp setups. Though, Im leaning more towards the ford because i dont want to clutter to tops of my valve covers. Just have to make sure i rub off th motorcract stamps lol.

Sure... I'm not a Ford guy, so what ever it is...

Here are a few pics of the attempt:
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are handy little buggers for mounting are'nt they... but wondering if the Ford tuning software would give us the needed GM tuning specs and if that is the reason Six is having issues at WOT?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    That Ford coil setup makes it look easy and fits really nicely beside the engine.

If you use GM LS coils you can use a LT1 wire set to get the coils off the valve covers and hide them somewhere. Get a LT1 wire set and a set of spark plug ends and then make the wires the right lengths to reach where you mount the coils.

You can not use the LS1 coil with the northstar DIS. The LS1 coils use a power, ground, and signal to fire them (kinda like a injector) They are called "smart" coils.
    To use the northstar DIS, you would need "dumb" coils. Meaning they only have two wires. Like the coilts shown above.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    The signal wire on the ls coils is for misfire detection. I dont believe it has anything to do with control of the spark. But i have been known to be wrong. I will likely go with the ford coils regardless as long as i can mount them nicely.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    You can not use the LS1 coil with the northstar DIS. The LS1 coils use a power, ground, and signal to fire them (kinda like a injector) They are called "smart" coils.
    To use the northstar DIS, you would need "dumb" coils. Meaning they only have two wires. Like the coilts shown above.
    After some reading i found You are correct. My mistake. ;)

I just checked in and noticed this thread. I am running two TBIs on a common plenum adapter on top of a carb manifold. So I am able to use only one IAC, if that matters.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s