Thread: Badassdubs from Washington

Carb and Points!

Badassdubs from Washington

Live about 30 minutes NW of Seattle. I have an '80 vanagon with a 4.3 V6 L35 W motor mated to
    the stock vanagon trans. Been driving it for a year and a half and finally decided to start getting the
    ecu straightened out. Have everything hooked up now and its is nice to see what is going on. Have
    been burning chips too. Just got the ALDLdroid and the Bluetooth from reddevilriver and am having
    issues, so now I need some help. Here's a few shots of the van. I also installed a Porsche 996 cluster
    in it. I am using classic instruments skydrive gps to power it. Was going to go with megasquirt, but
    decided to work with what I have.

Here are a couple more cars I have. Both megasquirt powered.

'85 Golf with a Porsche 944 drivetrain and rear suspension. Rear wheel drive. 944 Dash. Rear mounted turbo, 12psi boost, no lag.
    Microsquirt, but wasn't quite plug and play. Has been on PoweblockTV and a 7 page feature in PVW magazine. Known as the "Vorsche".

74 Sun Bug convertible. Around 300 made in 1974 only. Has a type IV(Porsche 914) engine with Suzuki GSXR throttle bodies
    and Porsche 944 rear suspension. Meqasquirt MS3.

All work on these has been done by myself. Sometimes if I'm lucky my son will help me. I'm not just about Volkswagens. I am currently building a numbers matching
    74 Cuda 360 (bored and stroked to 410) with a 4 speed. 1 of 398 made. Also have an all original 90K mile 78 CJ7 Levi Edition with a 304 and 4:10 gears.
    I have others I can post, but this is enough.

Those are some really cool project cars! Love the van, but the Golf may be more fun to drive?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thanks. They are all fun to drive!!! The golf is a kick to drive, especially with the turbo. It does donuts well. But of those 3, the van is the one I prefer. It has 4:57 gears so it launches well
    and surprises a lot of people. The only draw back is that the engine is just a screamin' goin down the freeway.

Administrator
    Welcome.

I'm always jealous of you PNW guys. I fire up Craigslist in Portland from time to time and dream of picking up vehicles out there. I saw an ad for a 280Z with an ASC conversion top last week. Very uncommon vehicle.

I once ran a Blazer with the old TBI 4.3 and 4.10s. It lasted a long time and actually got better mileage than the original gears. But there's a huge difference in diameter between the Blazer tires and yours. And the engine's outside the vehicle. Still as proof of reliability it was good enough for me.

The GM ecm should do everything you need it to and more. Are you using the 7427 pcm? If so you've got a good advantage as the code is available for viewing.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks. I am currently getting 15.5 mpg out of the van. Just found out that the AFR is 11.4, so there is room for improvement. I am running the
    7427 with the BHJR chip. How do you view the code? I've got a lot to learn.

Administrator
    You can view the code with hex editor software but it won't mean much without a disassembly. There are several partial disassemblies around. Maybe a couple are here in the 7427 sticky thread in the gmecm info area?

Are you running a stock calibration? It sounds like you're not in closed loop.

Carb and Points!
    The calibration is stock, but I took out the auto trans. It is now in closed loop. I finally hooked up the vss.