Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 454 TBI Swap 78 K30 Trouble with TunerproRT and Winaldl, etc.

What I see is obviously rich as BLM is at 105

IAC count is zero or one, turn the throttle screw out 1/2 turn

O2 is switching but hard to see a trend with out using graph mode

No spark retard or advance as rpm and map change.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    What I see is obviously rich as BLM is at 105

IAC count is zero or one, turn the throttle screw out 1/2 turn

O2 is switching but hard to see a trend with out using graph mode

No spark retard or advance as rpm and map change.

IAC is at zero b/c I set idle speed with IAC off, ECU is requesting idle at 720 rpms, but I have it at 1000 to keep from stalling. Im thinking I need to reset idle speed with Iac counts at 20?

here is the video with oxygen sensor graph.

Thanks Everyone

Honestly the o2 seems to be switching well. At idle it's hard to expect better switching than that on a TBI. But with your BLM at 105 it's either time to reduce fuel pressure or modify the VE table. The timing not moving also is another reason to dig in to the .bin and see what's going on.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    Kicked an IGN malfunction code, IAC code and Map sensor voltage low code.
    Swapped in old IGN module, and checked White EST wire for shorts to ground, or shorts to another wire, and it checks out with no resistance to pin at ECU.

Set minimum idle again as low as possible, and adjust TPS to have .75 volts at idle, IAC is now helping engine to idle, idle is still very irratic.

Cleared codes and Map sensor low voltage is no longer appearing, and here is most recent data stream from warm engine startup watching it switch into closed loop, and watching o2 values.

sorry video is sideways, youtube apparently will not let me edit videos any more
    Last edited by 5cottymac; 02-23-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    here is idling in gear, shifted back to park, and then stalling

Fuel Injected!
    Here is playback of data taken while fuel pressure is down around 23-25psi. BLM stays at 102......

It's all just a guess without all the data to look at as in a TP data log.

You've got idle set by throttle blade min air screw (Not an idle RPM screw) and it does not match what ECM/PCM says idle should be... so Brian had mentioned no spark advance timing changes? I watched the last video and it's stuck at 14* advance... well yeah it's rich and stalls because it should be around 21 degrees. These PCM change timing a lot at idle! It's probably bottomed out, taking away timing as much as it is allowed in chip can to lower idle. Without proper timing control I wouldn't even worry about BLM or how rich it is, because there's no way for the PCM to raise timing to where it should be, so BLM are off!

Then there's still the original issue of trying to run a PCM that has different set's of fuel and spark tables for Idle and Off Idle and you have no VSS. Can't even see if you have a Park/Neutral switch set up without a log, this PCM needs one too! Along with many other parameters that need to be set for Idle and Off Idle. And you can't even burn a chip for any changes? Or get a TunerPro Data Log?

Lowering your fuel pressure to make Idle BLM go down... good idea... now what are you going to do when it runs out of fuel going down the highway at 70, or WOT, or pulling a trailer?

I understand your doing what you can with what you got! But it's all just a cheat to fixing it right and tuning it properly...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It's all just a guess without all the data to look at as in a TP data log.

You've got idle set by throttle blade min air screw (Not an idle RPM screw) and it does not match what ECM/PCM says idle should be... so Brian had mentioned no spark advance timing changes? I watched the last video and it's stuck at 14* advance... well yeah it's rich and stalls because it should be around 21 degrees. These PCM change timing a lot at idle! It's probably bottomed out, taking away timing as much as it is allowed in chip can to lower idle. Without proper timing control I wouldn't even worry about BLM or how rich it is, because there's no way for the PCM to raise timing to where it should be, so BLM are off!

Then there's still the original issue of trying to run a PCM that has different set's of fuel and spark tables for Idle and Off Idle and you have no VSS. Can't even see if you have a Park/Neutral switch set up without a log, this PCM needs one too! Along with many other parameters that need to be set for Idle and Off Idle. And you can't even burn a chip for any changes? Or get a TunerPro Data Log?

Lowering your fuel pressure to make Idle BLM go down... good idea... now what are you going to do when it runs out of fuel going down the highway at 70, or WOT, or pulling a trailer?

I understand your doing what you can with what you got! But it's all just a cheat to fixing it right and tuning it properly...
    Yeah, Idle is set by screw, and by setting tps sensor voltage at idle, If I don't, engine stalls. It makes spark advance changes at idle, it usually moves between 14-16 degrees at idle, except when the blm drops below 108 and it then stays on 14. In your other thread you note that different IGN modules have different timing curves, we changed module, and it did improve idle, but not much. So what is your suggestion on fixing the timing?

As far as different sets of tables at idle/off idle, shouldn't in theory closed loop be making an attempt to fix the rich issue?

And you are correct, I cannot get a tunerpro data log, or get tunerpro to pass any cable hooked to the computer. don't Bawk at that issue, instead why don't you spead your knowledge and suggest ways to try to fix the problem. Ive read every tutorial, beginners info, etc and still TP doesn't recognize any cable. Can I burn a chip or make changes? NO. If I payed howell for a chip, and can nail down that the problem is software related, its their problem to fix, not mine. I want to identify the problem before finding the appropriate solution. I'm not into fixing things with band aids, otherwise this thread would read : 454 rich, swapped injectors, used piggy MAP programmer, smaller injectors and rising FPR...." If I were to spend the money to have extra eproms, and buy a burner, I would first want software to work in my application, and its not. For the money I could spend on those items, the dollar amount is in the same ball park as running megasquirt, or the diy-efi flash conversion. Either way Tunerpro still is not working and will pass any cable I have hooked to either of two laptops. The only way TP will pass the cable test, is if you no cable hooked to laptop and test the Dell Laptop and select COM3 with nothing attached!!!!

As far as the scanner and what data is seen, I can see all of the transmission related data, I just highlighted what I thought was the pertinent data needed for most of these data stream logs. Pretty sure there is no NSS, considering before I started working on this, the only way to move the truck is crank it in gear, other wise it stalls when shifted into gear.

Lowering the fuel pressure is to try to fix the truck at IDLE!!! If it doesn't idle, I'm not even going to begin with how it runs on decent pulls with load. you said fuel pump was an issue and I then asked for an appropriate fuel pump suggestion?

Its an offroad rig, never sees 70 on highway, and the most it would see pulling anything is for a couple miles on a trail, but realistically pulling vehicles a matter of a hundred feet.

Thanks for bashing my attempt to try to help fix this rig,
    but this is what constructive criticism looks like: ->>>

Why don't you offer suggestions to try to
    1) help get tunerpro to recognize 1 of now 3 cables, on 2 different laptops? So that I can upload data log files?
    2) Look at the data I have posted and make suggestions as to what appears to behaving correctly or incorrectly?

Those would both be a good start considering I can look at the data all day long, and can only interpret the data so much because I have no experience with looking at the data stream, or what the values I'm receiving mean.

I did try and get you going with TunerPro but you didn't have much luck and moved on.

What three cables do you have? Let's stick to one we know? Then I would start from scratch on installing it... FTDI drivers and cables are a real PIA lately and it seems to be because of a safety FTDI put into it's drivers to not work on counterfeit chips!

I also remember having cable issues awhile ago when WinALDL and TP was installed on same computer... but it was years ago?

Is your laptop up to date with all windows updates? IO Bit makes a good uninstaller along with there Advanced System care software in free version really cleans up a computer, could be the registry is just overloaded with crap. Lots of PCs I help people with have 3-4k issues when first run.

After that I'd start by removing all comm ports, then restart computer and let it install what computer needs, then pick lowest number Comm port available for the new cable installation.

If you do all that or it's done download TeamViewer and I'll try to fix it VIA remote desktop this afternoon?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-