Thread: Automotive Diagnostics

Automotive Diagnostics

I've watched a few of this guy (ScannerDanner) videos over the years and they are very good! He's an instructor, not a back yard mechanic. So I thought I'd start a thread with some of the YouTube Videos that are pertinent to GM EFI systems and will add to them.

Start off with GM Ignition ByPass system, one of the best explanations I have seen. Although this one is for a V6 DIS system it's information also falls back to TBI systems as well.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Understanding Short Term and Long Term Fuel Trim

Understanding Short Term and Long Term Fuel Trim

-= =-

Fuel Pump and Pressure issues with Vortec CPI system.

How to test an electric fuel pump (GM CPI case study)

-= =-

GM Fuel Pump Relay Testing

GM Fuel Pump Relay Testing, really good stuff and info. Strange ending...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Nice videos. Learned all that yrs ago at school but good info for newcomers. Keep 'em coming.
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

I bumped into him by accident and then followed and found 192 videos. Not all are GM, this guy is good with everything. But as I look I'm going to put the GM specific that I know we can all learn from in this thread.

Been a long time since I went to school but I felt like I was in school there! Well except for the scopes and scantools, no such animals when I was in school... well there was a scope for ignition work... Not all the videos are class room, most are class, but under hood!

Some of these I knew fairly well, but he goes into great detail and you get a full understanding!

-= =-

Super Moderator
    i thought i was wordy and otherwise was able to talk/type endlessly about a given subject, but i don't think i could come up with 30 minutes of info on a fuel pump relay... or 50 minutes on fuel trims.....
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Nitpick:
    The 1992-1995 actual Vortec that use the single injector is CPI

The 1996+ is CSFI

Thats for the Scanner Danner reference MArk, there is some good info, a bit wordy, but I cant complain.

peace
    Hog
    Last edited by Hog; 01-26-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Yeah he is wordy, but you have to remember all this stuff is done is class with kids that know nothing, even the ones shot under hood are in class. What I liked is he knew stuff I've never known or had an idea of and he just clarified the entire subject to a better understanding. Also goes into which direction for diagnostics, quick tests as time savers instead of going through the entire diagnostic chart when that could have been three starting points etc... Good use of DVOM with explanations and double checking... You can tell he's been in the field and was paid piece work.

Here's one that I've bumped into many times but did not know why? I've done a lot of harness re-wires and there's usually more then one 5 volt reference right? But inside ECM there is only one 5 volt reference and it's sent out in 2 circuits. Why? Because of the temp sensors going to ground and other sensors grounded back to ECM. So if you happen to rewire a TPS and a CTS on same circuit... no good, voltage will be off. I was always careful as to re-wire back to wiring diagrams but did not know why! Simple once he explained!

For no start conditions and a bad/faulty ECM/PCM that does not even have a 5 volt reference or a CEL for that matter you can still have spark because of ByPass IGN system spark being handled at start up by ICM.

Anyway if someone finds one of at least this quality and is something we could use or learn from post it up!

-= =-