Thread: V6 to V8 swap, TBIChips.com Harris Memcal compatabilty?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

V6 to V8 swap, TBIChips.com Harris Memcal compatabilty?

Here’s my situation.
    2yrs ago I swapped out a 4.3L V6, and put in a 5.7L stock L31 motor into my 94 Chevy C1500 pickup, which has a MT8 manual trans.
    PCM #16197427. Original Memcal Delco 7466 BJFC.

Bought a “so called” Custom Chip Kit (Chip, Fuel pump, 18 psi regulator spring) from TBI Harris. The memcal supplied is Delco 5873 BHRB. On the side the #68767 94133 1

Pickup has run OK since swap, but that is about it.

Built the Uber-easy ADLD cable and started to datalog about a month ago. I then decided to install an Ostrich 2.0 to try and learn to tune this myself.

The first thing I found wrong with the TBI Harris Chip bin was the Injector Flow in constants was wrong. Changed that and BLM’s improved dramatically. That made me wonder what else may be wrong in the Harris Bin I am tuning from. I posted this thread at the time.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?2729-New-to-tuning-Concered-about-my-current-bin-file&p=33978#post33978
    EagleMark asked about the Memcal that was supplied, which made me start looking into Knock Module, and Knock Sensor information. I ran across this thread
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...5-all-the-time
    which in post #11 EagleMark gave a description about proper knock sensors for PCM, vs ECM’s. I then realized I had installed the wrong knock sensor for my PCM. Used a 100k (which is used in a 94 Chevy 5.7, manual trans application), not the 4k (needed to use with the 16197427 PCM my PU came with). I was always a little concerned about the knock sensor functioning properly. I had tried the hammer test, but never could get anything noticeable to happen? Checked voltage, and ohms for knock sensor circuit, all was good so I thought.

Here’s the kicker guys, I have never had a Knock sensor error code, so again thought everything must be ok. Digging into the bin, I found that the TBI Harris way of doing things is to uncheck the Code 43 Knock Sensor Circuit Failure flag. As soon as I checked it, there was the Code 43 error. Yep no problems here, I have just been driving around for 2 yrs with a non functioning knock retard on a brand new long block. Thank god I don’t have a heavy foot.

This finally brings to my big question, I’ve already ordered a Standard Motor Products KS6 Knock Sensor (4k), but even with this installed, will I ever have a properly functioning knock sensor with this Memcal? I took the cover off the Memcal, and there has been no mods done to it.

Any insight, and information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Woods; 01-23-2014 at 11:31 PM.