Thread: code help...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

Talking code help...

lol, so I've started back up on trying to learn code and make adjustments to the stock programming to improve the capability of my PCM, does anyone have a dictionary of what all the codes and symbols mean when you're looking at a disassembly?

right now, I'm looking at GM V6 PCM's that use the motorolla 68332 processor.

Fuel Injected!
    ok, I'm starting to make a little bit of progress here, I'm using the "thingy" to locate the tables I want to expand, in IDA, and am able to see where there is something there, but I can't see much more because I'm not sure how the tables are structured in the code.

Motorola Pink Book has all your looking for...

There's also a couple tools in TunerPro that can help find tables etc... Tools, Advanced. I've used these to compare known tables to hex code I've found and is usful. Still won't tell you what exactly it is, but at least you've found stuff. Then following and commands from the Pink Book will help.

I still don't have the skills to be helping you. With luck some of the guys may have time, this is no short term project. Have you read a couple of threads in GearHead section on this subject when I did have time to get started? Lots of good info there.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    there is a 68000 programmers manual out there... probably on the freescale site, if i had to guess. it goes quite in-depth as to how the processor works.

the issue i have is trying to understand the assembly.... there are a LOT of registers to try and keep track of, something like 8 16-bit data registers and 8 index registers?

if you could somehow step a level above assembly, then it would be much more manageable, but as-is, there is just so much information to keep in mind(in your mental stack, as it were).
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    just ordered this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

a couple of hours ago, I imagine that will help alot. the nice thing is, right now, I'm not looking for the tables, the ones I need have, for the most part already been found, I just want to change the resolution, so the PCM can maintain control beyond 6400 RPM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    there is a 68000 programmers manual out there... probably on the freescale site, if i had to guess. it goes quite in-depth as to how the processor works.

the issue i have is trying to understand the assembly.... there are a LOT of registers to try and keep track of, something like 8 16-bit data registers and 8 index registers?

if you could somehow step a level above assembly, then it would be much more manageable, but as-is, there is just so much information to keep in mind(in your mental stack, as it were).
    http://www.freescale.com/search?q=68...=-1&rc=1&hl=en

bunch of data here, I'll start sorting this stuff out, maybe I'll be able to make more sense of it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I still don't have the skills to be helping you. With luck some of the guys may have time, this is no short term project. Have you read a couple of threads in GearHead section on this subject when I did have time to get started? Lots of good info there.
    somehow I missed this....

No, I hadn't, I'll take a look!

Fuel Injected!
    so I've been looking through the code bit by bit, very slowly as I try and make sense of what I'm looking at. and the one thing I can say for sure, is that the code is, for the most part, the same between many different years, makes, models, and even engine families. keep in mind, all of what I am looking at is late 90's, early 00's GM V6's.

so far, I've looked at the code for the

L67 (3800 supercharged 90* V6)
    L36 (3800 n/a, 5 speed 90* V6)
    LX5 (3.5 DOHC "shortstar" 90* V6)
    LA1 (3.4 "3400 SFI 60* V6)

with the exception of the camaro L36 file, when opened in winOLS, each file was listed as 81% identical. after modifying the LX5 bin for a manual trans, it showed 87% similar to a stock LX5 bin, which leads me to believe most of the differences in the bins, are in the calibrations, and not in the actual OS.
    Last edited by ericjon262; 02-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Banned
    Instead of sharing this information privately I will post it. It is probably not a good idea

Screw it
    Hey find a copy of DHP PowerTuner or that free tuner. Open the program or download the latest dbf. This is a simple MS Access file.
    In the file you will find a column of numbers from 1 through 30. The V6 cars have 30 different def files. I think you can find a reference for OS to the ID in that column. If you cannot I can pull it. I also have them linked to the VDF's that TC uses.
    posting this could cause TT to encrypt the files.
    Last edited by Caleditor; 02-04-2014 at 07:06 PM.