Thread: New to tuning. Concered about my current bin file?

Fuel Injected!

New to tuning. Concered about my current bin file?

Sorry members, we are going to be dealing with another TBIHarrischip? Unlike some others, my PU has been drivable, but mileage sucks. I thought I was on the right track to tune my 94 Chevy C1500, until I found out the Injector flow rate was wrong in the initial bin, now I am wondering what else maybe wrong?
    Original setup:
    94 Chevy C1500 PU
    4.3L motor
    Rear end ratio 3.42
    Manual Trans NV4500 / MT8 (I love this tranny)
    ECM Sevr # 16197427 Four letter code BJFC

Swapped in a new L31 Long Block, (found an old TBI 350 donor motor for various needed parts)
    Square bore vortec intake, Holley adapter, no EGR.
    Stock 350 (orange/Black) injectors
    Original PCM Sevr # 16197427 $0D mask. Memcal replaced by TBI Chips. (I replaced engine knock sensor with 5.7 sensor for that year. That has not been an issue)
    Custom Chip, fuel pump, and 18psi regulator spring. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-CHIP-...00487853285%26

I have ran this motor for 2 yrs, it has decent power, soso response, mileage sucks. It seems to like high RPM’s which I do not ever run. Pulled the plugs and they all looked great.
    Early in December I got hold of an old Laptop, reloaded XP, got everything updated, nice little laptop now. I built RobertISaar’s ADLD cable, started to datalog, and found the BLM tables where very rich. (TunerproRT5) After a lot of thought, and now having a reliable ADLD cable, I decided to install an Ostrich 2.0. I asked TBIChips for my original bin file because I thought it would be a good starting point to tune from. No error codes, runs ok.
    I was doing more research about EFI tuning (because I am very new to tuning), when I ran across some very unflattering posts about TBIChips, I then started to dig deeper into my bin, and try to understand more about it. I found out the constant for Injector flow was still set a 61lbs. I have stock 350 (orange/black) injectors, running at 18lb psi, (the Harris spring) Should be close to 70-72lb.
    After I changed injector flow to 72 lb/hr, (9.07 gms/sec) in the initial bin, uploaded it to the Ostrich, the BLM charts came very close to what I would like to see, before that they where very rich. Now I am wondering what else maybe wrong with this initial bin? I was in the process of doing BLM tuning (using Marks spreadsheet) when I ran into this bit of information, and went back to initial bin with the proper injector flow. I am enjoying the process of learning how to tune my own engine, but I don’t want to start out of a huge hole.
    If anyone can take the time to look at this initial bin, I would appreciate it. The fact that the Injector Flow rate was wrong has me more than concerned, now I wonder what other constants, or parameters may be wrong to start with?

Thank you in advance, any help, and insight, is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post the data log too and we can do this right!

18 PSI is way to much for that motor, but could be tuned down... lots more work then starting with the 14-15 you need even with a cam.

What is your actual fuel pressure? Just because it's an 18 spring does not mean it's 18 PSI.

What memcal did you end up with to use? Do you have the Moates adapter?

Congradulations! Your reading and learning while applying the skills has really shown up in a great first tech post!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you for your reply Mark.

I dug out my PCM and the memcal says Delco 5873 BHRB

I have never checked my actual fuel psi? Any info on how to do this on a budget is again very appreciated.

I am using a Jet chip adapter. Though not quite as nice as the Moates GI, the word free works for me.

I am attaching 2 data logs. The 1st one is when I 1st started to data log (it is labeled 2nd).
    The other one is after I changed Inj flow to 72lbs (inj4).

These datalogs are just driving on my gravel roads, PE and AE are not disabled.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'll try to look at logs later, maybe someone else can too?

BHRB is for a 4.3L manual trans and was superseded to BPLJ So chances are your custom chip would be a better choice then a V6 chip in a V8?

The Jet adapter is fine.

Fuel pressure gauge can usually be borrowed from parts store if they have the fitting for TBI? It goes on at fuel filter under truck. Most won't fit on fuel lines at TBI unit.

-= =-

Have you adjusted Cylinder Volume? That and fuel pressure would be needed to set fuel flow correctly.

Quick look at inj4.xdl looks like BLM are very good.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Mark for taking the time help me out.
    As long as there are no glaring issues with my data logs, and the original bin file, I feel I am on the right track to tune my own motor.

I would like to say thank you to EagleMark, Dave W, RobertISaar, RRob, Fast355, Grumpy, and who knows else for sharing their knowledge with us. It is greatly appreciated.

I thank lots of people here too as well as the guys from yesteryear who started this!

I've not looked at your bin because I'm really not sure what you were running? But your obviously doing well so I'll give you a tip! Upload your bin to TunerPro and then learn to use the compare feature to upload a stock bin. Then you can see all the differences or just one by one. It's a great tool in a situation like this to see if you've messed something up!

HTH!

-= =-