Thread: AMUR 0055

Carb and Points!

AMUR 0055

My son works 7 days a week. I'm retired, so I'm trying to help him. When he bought his '88 Silverado K1500, 5.7L, 350 trans 6 mos ago, it wasn't running very good. It still runs, but not good and has a heavy fuel odor w/ black smoke. His cel code reads "PROM is not seated. He found one pin bent on the PROM, straightened and reinstalled it, but still gets same "PROM is not seated" mssg. His mechanic friend says the PROM/chip is probably toast. His ECM is an 88999146 and he and I have been looking online for a chip/module/PROM labeled with the same AMUR 0055 that came out of the ECM, without success. Several websites show the numbers 16060836 and 16060837 as a possible replacement, but nothing seems definite. The truck doesn't seem to be running in the "limp" mode which (from what I read) is a calpak module. Any suggestions to a 71 year old computer-illiterate helper would be appreciated.

I'd have to go through the list, but there are other BCCs that could work, such as AMUS. I don't know what the differences are offhand, but the application is listed as the same. One possible difference might be gear ratio, which I don't have information for on these BCCs.

Another option is to download the BIN and program it to a new EPROM or EEPROM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

You have to disconnect batt to clear the codes and try again. If it is still there then there is still an issue.

That is a strange number ECM? It may be a newer replacement ECM? Or someone put the wrong one in? AMUR could be a correct chip BCC for that vehicle, but if they changed ECM and used the old chip without changing the little chip? It may be an issue? Does the smaller chip come out? It's a sure fire way to see if the ECM is not correct 1227747 ECM. Some others are soldered in.

Also need to check trans as they never came with a TH350. It should be a 700R4 or if a heavy duty truck a TH400. This will make a difference on what ECM and chip BCC to use.

A 1988 1500 should be 700R4 trans and lots of chip choices... if ECM is correct. 1227747 and ADSU would be what I would look for.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thanks Six Shooter. Don't know anything about BIN's and programing, so this probably won't be an option at this point.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks EagleMark. Confirmed that battery was disconnected and codes cleared
    ECM 88999146 comes up as the replacement for 1227747. It was new when my son put it in. He sent me picture of ECM showing the AMUR 0055 closest to the blue glove. That is the only chip he swapped out from old 7747 (previous owner) to the new 88999146. This being my first time seeing one of these, is that the "little chip" to the right of the AMUR?
    A GM parts site shows (2) modules for this truck- a Calpak and a Calibrator.
    We can only assume/hope the previous owner who replaced the 700R4 tranny with the TH350 knew the AMUR 0055 would work correctly with the 3-speed.
    Where would you suggest we start?PROM!.jpg

Calpack/Netres would be the small chip. Calibrator would be the big chip with AMUR. It should have been repalced into new ECM as well as other. What is in there now? You must have a Calpack/Netres chip installed.

Pull the AMUR chip and try to pull away the black side one at a time with your thumb nail. Each side should release the pins so you can push it out from two tabs on top of black holder. Try to straighten the pins and leave them spread out a little from square/90*. Then slide it back in, notch on chip on same side as notch on black holder. Be careful to center it so pins on chip align with slots in black holder. Then set it down on table, upside down so you can push the chip in and you will hear the pins click into the slots. Carefully reinstall.

The black holder will only go into ECM one way.

At this point it is possible the pins will break? If so you still need a chip. I have a stock AMUR chip here, find out what it is worth on eBay or? PM me an offer and I'll mail it to you.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    I might be interested in buying a AMUR chip or both chips? Not sure how much they are worth.