Thread: crank relearn?

Fuel Injected!

crank relearn?

i have a 06 Silverado that's throwing the P0300 code found that i need to do a crank relearn, as anyone knows a good scanner that as the ability to do this? also was told that the dealer can do this but frankly some dealer don't know nothing at all (some dealers not all).

any input on this.

To my knowledge, the EFI Live V2 and the GM Tech II are the only tools that can do the crank re-learn. Any chance your near Portland Oregon?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    no not even close!, so are you saying either go dealer or found someones with EFI V2, you think snap-on Solus can do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by NISANDA View Post
    no not even close!, so are you saying either go dealer or found someones with EFI V2, you think snap-on Solus can do the trick?
    I don't know anything about the Snap-On Solus.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Im searching other forums and its seems its does support crank relearn feature, going to find out let you guy's know.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes it will. Under functions you can do a crank relearn. But the code should of been a crank cam correlation.

Fuel Injected!
    P0300 code, misfire in cylinders, and on suggestions it said crank sensor must miss reading bad etc etc, hope this fix the problem with timing retard above 3rpm's.

Fuel Injected!
    The Solus will relearn as well as the Modis, mac or matco version of the OTC genisis.
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

That pretty much opens you up to any decent shop!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    not meaning to gravedig, and at the risk of sounding like a moron, where in the modis menu would i find the relearn procedure? i have been digging for hours.
    on my old determinator (genisis) its in special tests, but someone "borrowed" the key i need for most obd2 gm, so thats out. modis is on 11.2
    im trying to crank relearn on a 97 vortec 5.7 runs well but keeps throwing code for ckp/cmp correlation error, the only thing i can find on the modis is for cam sensor adjustment(and the distributer is non adjustable, requiring pulling and moving a tooth). any help appreciated.
    Last edited by skandolis; 11-29-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by skandolis View Post
    not meaning to gravedig, and at the risk of sounding like a moron, where in the modis menu would i find the relearn procedure? i have been digging for hours.
    on my old determinator (genisis) its in special tests, but someone "borrowed" the key i need for most obd2 gm, so thats out. modis is on 11.2
    im trying to crank relearn on a 97 vortec 5.7 runs well but keeps throwing code for ckp/cmp correlation error, the only thing i can find on the modis is for cam sensor adjustment(and the distributer is non adjustable, requiring pulling and moving a tooth). any help appreciated.

Look at your cam timing. It has to be with in plus 4 or minus 4. Our it will throw that code. If you can not move the distributor that much you will have to take it out and reset it

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by doctortuned View Post
    Look at your cam timing. It has to be with in plus 4 or minus 4. Our it will throw that code. If you can not move the distributor that much you will have to take it out and reset it
    i have gotten it as close as -3 by loosening the distributor, (modis says it needs to be within -2 to +2) moving the distributor 1 tooth throws it to +5. with it set at -3 it still throws the code after twenty minutes or so of driving. spent most of yesterday trying to get it straightened out(truck runs well, but ses light bugs the crap out of me)probably end up filing on the distributor bracket to try to get it closer.......
    i still feel a ckp relearn would straighten it right up (this problem developed when i put in new cam sensor) dizzy wasn't moved during this process.
    Last edited by skandolis; 11-29-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Seems to me you have the wrong distributor in it. That Vin R engine should turn to sync the cam and crank. Later model 4.3 trucks have a very similar distributor but is fixed with no adjustment. Probably is no crank relearn for that year model. It only has a 4 tooth tone wheel.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by skandolis View Post
    i have gotten it as close as -3 by loosening the distributor, (modis says it needs to be within -2 to +2) moving the distributor 1 tooth throws it to +5. with it set at -3 it still throws the code after twenty minutes or so of driving. spent most of yesterday trying to get it straightened out(truck runs well, but ses light bugs the crap out of me)probably end up filing on the distributor bracket to try to get it closer.......
    i still feel a ckp relearn would straighten it right up (this problem developed when i put in new cam sensor) dizzy wasn't moved during this process.
    AC Delco sensor???? The aftermarkets are JUNK!

Fuel Injected!
    woohoo, got it straightened out! yesterday i filed the bolt hole on the distributor clamp to where i could get a little closer, same problem (and after driving a little bit i noticed it had moved from 0 to -1) so today at work i pulled the sensor from another distributor and stuck in it, problem solved.......after a 30 minute test drive and then 45 minutes home, still no light or codes! so a bad sensor it is.(the new sensor was BWD, the one i put in from another dizzy was unknown) while i was messing with it, i checked to make sure it was a v8 distributor, sure enough it has an 8 cast into the top of the base.(i dont think a 5.7 would run properly if at all with a 4.3 distributor anyway) however the distributor i pulled the sensor from has a normal clamp, the one in my truck has a clamp "locked" onto the sides. may replace that with the other one later, thanks guys, thought i was going crazy........
    Last edited by skandolis; 12-02-2014 at 03:36 AM.