Thread: New to Fuel Injection

Carb and Points!

New to Fuel Injection

I have some questions about fuel injection or I should say the tuning part.
    Y'all may think I'm crazy but, I'm installing a custom build fuel injection system on my 1949-53 Ford flathead V8 239ci motor.
    The question I have is how do I come up with a fuel map for this, where do I start, what formula/'s. From what I have read I/m going to use 24lb injector but not sure what size throttle body to use. ill be using the Megasquirt II box an tunerstudio for the tuning.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29flathead View Post
    Y'all may think I'm crazy but, I'm installing a custom build fuel injection system on my 1949-53 Ford flathead V8 239ci motor.
    The question I have is how do I come up with a fuel map for this, where do I start, what formula/'s. From what I have read I/m going to use 24lb injector but not sure what size throttle body to use. ill be using the Megasquirt II box an tunerstudio for the tuning.
    There should be ample info an starter bins to get you up and running on the Megasquirt site. I personally have not used MS but I do know they have a huge following that should source the info your seeking. Not trying to steer you away from here as there is an un-Godly amount of info and some very talented individuals the "live" here. I would check the MS site and go from there if one of the braintrust here can't help.
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddrow View Post
    There should be ample info an starter bins to get you up and running on the Megasquirt site. I personally have not used MS but I do know they have a huge following that should source the info your seeking. Not trying to steer you away from here as there is an un-Godly amount of info and some very talented individuals the "live" here. I would check the MS site and go from there if one of the braintrust here can't help.

I've look on there site but not seeing anything that will help with building the fuel map from scratch but I could be over looking it. Thanks tho for the help

I think any stock style fuel map should let you start the car as long as the injector constant or BPC are accurate, and then do some VE tunes from there.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29flathead View Post
    FINALLY! A normal, real, human, gearhead! Working on a REAL Engine! Man! I thought I was the minority! OK, so there is officially two of us in the Universe working with these motors. So a couple of questions and or assumptions I am going to make?
    1. I assume that this is a late model 8BA? or/and later of the prior with or without the integral bellhousing?
    2. Also assumed you have already checked for cracked main webbing? I commonly go through 3-5 blocks before I find one that's good due to the typical overheating issues. I have found a way to actually repair these cracks. I have built two motors so far and beat them to death tore them down did another mag check, still good. So, if you have any bad blocks.... keep them they can be repaired!
    3. If you are using the Megasquirt II box. I know for a fact on their forums they have maps for flattys. If you cant find something directly..IE: meaning if you can only find something for a supped up flatty. Pull a map down for a 289 and or 302 stock. This will get you running right off the bat then very little tuning from there. I will dig around I remember one of the guys had this info... Ill post link when I find it.
    You will be exptremely happy when you get this completed... Flattys run like a completely different animal once fuel injected... its quite amazing.. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Carb and Points!
    Ratfink, thanks for your help i read a whole lot more information.
    an to update you on the progress have everything wired up try to start it an had no tach signal. had some problems with the wiring anyway. also went ahead an changed ignition system to electronic. Going to try an start it again this weekend. if all goes well ill post some pics an video

Hi 29flathead
    I have not long joined the forum and only just seen this post. I have EFI on a 51 8BA.
    I am running a delco computer 808. Which is I believe 1227808.
    The basic '808 is based on the US 1227165 (which first shipped on US vehicles in late 1985.
    I am running a 60mm throttle body and have tried a 65 which seams to respond too. More tuning would improve this.

How is the project proceeding and have you got it going?
    Last edited by MQQN28; 07-08-2016 at 02:37 AM.