Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Performance tuning the 4L60E and 4L80E Transmission VIA PCM

That's good info that 60 and 80 can use same settings!

Here's some info to think about. No need to use EEB, just flash with EE, it's worked for me many times. 4L60E from 94 which is only one early in year $EEB to 95 $EE trans is 95 has PWM TCC, there's an exrta wire from PCM to trans and I would guess some bin file changes? I just stick to keeping a bin year to trans. If there's any mechanical mods to trans then line pressures should not be touched as they have already been modified.

Use TunerPro RT to datalog transmission! It is a seperate data logging connection from motor data, this will keep an eye on what's happening like shifts and more importantly tempretures! Can see how MPH and shifts line up, does TC do gear change calcs in bin? this could very well be the biggest issue. There's three speed related settings in bin, start from a stock bin and make the overall changes. I know that TC OBDII does this overall and can bee 100s of changes to all the tables! Have any of these wrong and all sorts of shifting issues and heat can occur.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I'd be curious to hear more about this and how it works........
    There's also a way to run one wire to a switch for the Performance table to be used in B bodies. The switch only came in one car, the Trans Am I beleive.
    One setting for cruising, and another labeled "GET IT!!".

Doesn't really apply for what I am doing, but still interesting.

Jim
    1978 Cherokee chief
    Current status = BACK under construction
    modified body w/TJ flares
    AMC 360, junkyard 7427 TBI w/ 4L80e
    NWF doubler w/
    upside down 203
    SOA D60/14B-FF
    custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
    H1 wheels + (for now) tires

hey eaglemark not sure if the settings from hp tuners is about the same as the tbi pcm. i raised line pressure 10% across. i did not do any more unless i had a corvette servo and a shift kit. in the obd2 system if you went to much more it would start to slip in second. ( band apply ) upon installing a shift kit all pressures were left to stock. do not go to 0 on shift times with the early models of the 60e as i would see clutch bind. what i was able to do with mine in hp tuners which i loved was set it to tps position. mine was a built tranny and shifted really hard. so i would go to tps and from 0 to 25% i would leave the timing around 4.69 or 4.00. that was in milli's. from 25% to 50% i would change the shift time to 2. something. usually 2.00. after 50% with an early model i would bring it to .75 to .60 on shift timing. when i went to later model 80e my shift timing was 0. not sure what the ecm you have will alloow but i was great. this was on a built tranny though. made it much nicer. loved the fact i could could keep a soft hit cruising and have her hit hard when i wanted it to. MAN I MISS THAT TRUCK. the 80E swap was the s**t. would do it again in a heartbeat. except i would go with an older 80E do to the cooling fittings are both in front on older ones. on the newer ones there was a crossover tube that carried it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Coolest thing I've done with my 4l80e is enable 2nd gear TCC lockup. It's freaking sweet. It really shines when pulling hard up a hill in D2, esp if towing...

You have to find all of the relevant tables and do some hacking to make it work comfortably/properly. It took me a long time to figure out why I was getting harsh lockups with light throttle, and it ended up being some tables absent from $0d XDF that needed modification. $0d has 2 tables to control rate of PWM TCC lockup, and then a 4-value array of pointers to these tables (pointer for each gear). The 2nd gear pointer needs to be set, otherwise PCM does instant lockup instead of gradual PWM increase for smooth TCC apply.

Another aggravating issue I had was loosing lockup in manual D2, it was a similar issue. There was a set of arrays somewhere that needed pointers set so the TCC lock/unlock table would be used in D2. There were quite a few of these arrays back to back.

I have some more extensive/detailed notes accumulating on a laptop that I'll post up another day.

To use 4l80e with $0d (4l60e bins), you have to change a few things. Here's a link to FSC with details and some PWM TCC trickery I came up with.
    4l80e + $0d_maf

In case that link ever breaks, I had to do 3 essential things:
    1) Gear ratio table. switch the values: s/C3D7 6854 4000 2CCC/9ED9 5ED9 4000 3000/
    2) Shift points
    3) TCC PWM output pin E11 0x31337-haxory:

For $0d, at 0xc38f, I replaced 13 bytes so that pin E11 functions correctly for a 4l80e. Using E10 (on/off TCC pin for 700r4/4l60e) will result in harsh lockups, rumor has it doing ON/OFF instead of PWM lockup can break input shafts under the right conditions (454's, I'd assume)

s/
    fc 01 24 1a b3 69 1b 23 07 13 86 04 03/ <-- original code @ 0xc38f in BJYM 0D_95GMC.bin
    4f 5f 13 86 04 0A 01 01 01 01 fc 01 24/ <-- my elite PWM hack.

(In the sourcecode, this is just after LC383 and before LC39F.) Read my FSC thread for full explanation/comments/etc..
    '89 suburban. D60/aam10.5/4.10/32's, L31-tbi/gmpp/eccc-4l80e, $0d or $0d_maf_egr.asm

Noticed in the L99's bin, the shift time tables are all zero except for the 1 -> 2 shift column. Does any one know if the 0's are really that, or does that just then default to the value of the previous populated column. (in the L99's case, it would have the same for all three shifts)

For reference, the 9c1, ss and caddy v4p(IIRC) had non zero values in the 1->2 and 2->3 columns, but then zero's for the 3->4 column.

On a side note, it seems the downshift columns are what make the L99 feel like a slug. When i compared them to the points a bauman control offers as default, I could see why (use one on my mustang).

The up / down shift points are much closer for each %TPS value. Where as in the stock bins, once it up shifts, it takes nearly WOT to get it to down shift again. I adopted the bauman points and feels like it's almost 500 pounds lighter in driving around town. It's upshifts are a little higher and it downshifts more readily.

Old thread, but this may help some of you tuning shift points.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 91ss View Post
    Noticed in the L99's bin, the shift time tables are all zero except for the 1 -> 2 shift column. Does any one know if the 0's are really that, or does that just then default to the value of the previous populated column. (in the L99's case, it would have the same for all three shifts)

For reference, the 9c1, ss and caddy v4p(IIRC) had non zero values in the 1->2 and 2->3 columns, but then zero's for the 3->4 column.

On a side note, it seems the downshift columns are what make the L99 feel like a slug. When i compared them to the points a bauman control offers as default, I could see why (use one on my mustang).

The up / down shift points are much closer for each %TPS value. Where as in the stock bins, once it up shifts, it takes nearly WOT to get it to down shift again. I adopted the bauman points and feels like it's almost 500 pounds lighter in driving around town. It's upshifts are a little higher and it downshifts more readily.
    From what little I looked at the L99 calibration (mainly as a point of spark advance reference for a 305 with 305 vortec heads on it) the Upshifts and TCC lockup happen too quickly and are held too long. The 3" stroke motor needs to rev a little to make useabl power for the heavy car.

Carb and Points!
    Hello,
    I have a Golen Built 540 HP -495t dyno numbers we put a 2800-3200 rpm stall converter in a pro built (8yrs ago) 4l60e. Ie Shift kit ect . my issue is that i have issues with the 3-4 shift wanting to slip umless I go WOT . my tuner has my TCC enable off as well as the PN switch . Im not worried about the second . but , I am conserned with the TCC lock up being off on an electrically shifted and controlled tranny. Could this be my issue ? I have zero knowledge on the pcm side of the performance of the trans . i have done all the wrench stuff , pan drop filter change . no codes , the filter flush cleaned it up for a couple runs, adjusted the throttle cable and tps and that helped for a few runs . it could be the 3-4 clutches . But , I need to know if the TCC being off is a problem
    thank you all for any help to a novice pcm guy ,
    GOD bless,
    Rob