Thread: Performance tuning the 4L60E and 4L80E Transmission VIA PCM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!
    In the thread title you mention 4L80E, and that is why I came in here, to find information about tuning for a 4L80E behind an LT1. However, it looks to me that most of the information is about tuning for a 4L60E. Am I missing something?

I don't want to hijack your thread. Do you know if the 4L60E tables parameters are basically the same as what I would need for a 4L80E?

We are trying to get the tips and trick in one thread so good hijack! What are you looking to do? Although transmiossions are differant the paremeters to adjust are similar.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    We are trying to get the tips and trick in one thread so good hijack! What are you looking to do? Although transmiossions are differant the paremeters to adjust are similar.
    Sure, I'll explain it all here.

I have been running a 4L80E with a PCS TCU-2000 behind an LT1 (still controlled by the stock PCM (16188051)), in an Impala SS. Conventional wisdom at that time was that an external TCU was the only option for controlling a 4L80E back when I installed the 4l80e. A lot has changed since then, and now I want to go back to the stock PCM for controlling the trans.

I used Tunercat with the CE version of EEB.tdf to switch the solenoid settings in the constants table, and re-pinned the trans connector. It seems to work fine on a short drive around the block. However, I'm very concerned that I not make a mistake by using incorrect line pressure settings, as well as other key controlling tables, in order to avoid burning it up after a few blasts down the 1320. I have a friend that did the swap using TC and he burned up 2nd gear. After looking at his bin file, it looks like he bumped up the line pressure significantly. Might have been his undoing.

Oh I just got a response from Bryan Herter, who said that he uses the same parameters for the 4L80E as he's been using with the 4L60E. So I guess I have my answer, unless you think otherwise?

Thank you,
    Glen Koenig
    Last edited by Glen Koenig; 12-11-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: changed reason for using external controller

Super Moderator
    from a control standpoint, there isn't much difference between the 60 and 80, the biggest two things i can come up with are gear ratios differ a bit, so slip calculated would be off without correction, and that the 80 only uses a single TCC related solenoid (PWM) while the 60 uses a PWM and discrete solenoid.

the 80 has the advantage of an input shaft speed sensor, so slip can be calculated better.

the main calibration difference would be the table used for determining what duty cycle to run the PCS at based on desired pressure and trans temp.

other than that, i can't think of much that would need changed. once the trans temp gets high enough, the line pressure is ran closed-loop to help prevent slippage, which is one of the advantages of a PCS equipped transmission.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

That's good info that 60 and 80 can use same settings!

Here's some info to think about. No need to use EEB, just flash with EE, it's worked for me many times. 4L60E from 94 which is only one early in year $EEB to 95 $EE trans is 95 has PWM TCC, there's an exrta wire from PCM to trans and I would guess some bin file changes? I just stick to keeping a bin year to trans. If there's any mechanical mods to trans then line pressures should not be touched as they have already been modified.

Use TunerPro RT to datalog transmission! It is a seperate data logging connection from motor data, this will keep an eye on what's happening like shifts and more importantly tempretures! Can see how MPH and shifts line up, does TC do gear change calcs in bin? this could very well be the biggest issue. There's three speed related settings in bin, start from a stock bin and make the overall changes. I know that TC OBDII does this overall and can bee 100s of changes to all the tables! Have any of these wrong and all sorts of shifting issues and heat can occur.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I'd be curious to hear more about this and how it works........
    There's also a way to run one wire to a switch for the Performance table to be used in B bodies. The switch only came in one car, the Trans Am I beleive.
    One setting for cruising, and another labeled "GET IT!!".

Doesn't really apply for what I am doing, but still interesting.

Jim
    1978 Cherokee chief
    Current status = BACK under construction
    modified body w/TJ flares
    AMC 360, junkyard 7427 TBI w/ 4L80e
    NWF doubler w/
    upside down 203
    SOA D60/14B-FF
    custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
    H1 wheels + (for now) tires

hey eaglemark not sure if the settings from hp tuners is about the same as the tbi pcm. i raised line pressure 10% across. i did not do any more unless i had a corvette servo and a shift kit. in the obd2 system if you went to much more it would start to slip in second. ( band apply ) upon installing a shift kit all pressures were left to stock. do not go to 0 on shift times with the early models of the 60e as i would see clutch bind. what i was able to do with mine in hp tuners which i loved was set it to tps position. mine was a built tranny and shifted really hard. so i would go to tps and from 0 to 25% i would leave the timing around 4.69 or 4.00. that was in milli's. from 25% to 50% i would change the shift time to 2. something. usually 2.00. after 50% with an early model i would bring it to .75 to .60 on shift timing. when i went to later model 80e my shift timing was 0. not sure what the ecm you have will alloow but i was great. this was on a built tranny though. made it much nicer. loved the fact i could could keep a soft hit cruising and have her hit hard when i wanted it to. MAN I MISS THAT TRUCK. the 80E swap was the s**t. would do it again in a heartbeat. except i would go with an older 80E do to the cooling fittings are both in front on older ones. on the newer ones there was a crossover tube that carried it.

Carb and Points!
    Hello,
    I have a Golen Built 540 HP -495t dyno numbers we put a 2800-3200 rpm stall converter in a pro built (8yrs ago) 4l60e. Ie Shift kit ect . my issue is that i have issues with the 3-4 shift wanting to slip umless I go WOT . my tuner has my TCC enable off as well as the PN switch . Im not worried about the second . but , I am conserned with the TCC lock up being off on an electrically shifted and controlled tranny. Could this be my issue ? I have zero knowledge on the pcm side of the performance of the trans . i have done all the wrench stuff , pan drop filter change . no codes , the filter flush cleaned it up for a couple runs, adjusted the throttle cable and tps and that helped for a few runs . it could be the 3-4 clutches . But , I need to know if the TCC being off is a problem
    thank you all for any help to a novice pcm guy ,
    GOD bless,
    Rob