Thread: ecm/pcm piggybacking

Electronic Ignition!

ecm/pcm piggybacking

About a year ago I took on a project for a friend that involved swapping a 1986 camaro 350 tpi into a 1993 gmc k1500. We know all about the performance aspects and dont care, he wants it in the truck for the look. I researched a little and found out I could use the trucks existing 16168625 computer with a couple wiring modifications and some soldering in the computer did all that and was able to get the truck to run. Cant get the truck to run the way it should. Idles fine and revs great, as soon as I put it in gear it runs horrible, wont rev, pops, shakes and almost dies. Engine was previously in a 1990 k1500 and ran great, it had a tpi wire harness and the 1227165 computer, I just bought a Tpi wire harness and I have the original 7165 computer, I want to piggyback the 8625and 7165 together so the 4l60 will work correctly, not to be rude, but not looking for any answers about how it would be better to use such and such computer with some programming, i know people have piggybacked with success and that is the route i want to follow, just need info or diagrams on what wires need to be spliced and where best place is to splice them, thank you in advanced

The 16168625 PCM needs Switched Ign, Bat + / Bat -, VSS, TPS, and DPR to operate the 4L60E.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    sounds easy enough, just have no idea what the DPR is

Quote Originally Posted by tommey66 View Post
    just have no idea what the DPR is
    I typed DPR wrong, should have typed DRP ~ Distributor Reference Pulse

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...4&d=1322083598

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I personally think 350TPI engines should have came in trucks. They may not make the higher RPM power that most want for a performance car but the low end torque is great for a truck.
    Good luck with the build.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne_S View Post
    I personally think 350TPI engines should have came in trucks. They may not make the higher RPM power that most want for a performance car but the low end torque is great for a truck.
    Good luck with the build.
    TPI did make great torque, but TBI made better off idle/low rpm torque, and did so with a MUCH less expensive intake arrangement than TBI. The TPI torque peaks are at 3200rpm, TBI at 1600rpm for some of them. Can you imagine the aftermarket development for TPI if stock TPI's ran in teh trucks from 1987-1995 instead of teh TBI 1987-1995 run? TPI in the F-bodies, teh Vettes AND the trucks. It would have been great, there would be so many more TPI parts around now.

peace
    Hog

Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    Can you imagine the aftermarket development for TPI if stock TPI's ran in teh trucks from 1987-1995 instead of teh TBI 1987-1995 run? TPI in the F-bodies, teh Vettes AND the trucks. It would have been great, there would be so many more TPI parts around now.

peace
    Hog
    That would have been an incredible sales market, even if it was just a special edition or SS type truck!

I bought a 1987 Red Chevy Short Bed in early 88 used. That was the best Chevy truck I had had to that date. Had it 10 years and sold it with over 200K, never had an issue with the TBI system.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-