Thread: New from Detroit, Michigan

Carb and Points!

New from Detroit, Michigan

Actually, Dearborn Heights, Mi.
    I have periodically looked around for info to convert my 1975 L48 Corvette to EFI. I'm hoping to accomplish this to make it more driveable and enjoyable. I'm thinking TBI would be the easiest and most affordable option so I am going to start asking my gear head friends for local places to source a complete system. I'm completely confused after reading some of the info on computers and chips so this may be aborted in favor of a carb if I can't figure it out. I'll spend some time here to try to gain some understanding.

TBI is the easiest and most affordable EFI system. Many of the members here, including myself, are very experienced with TBI systems. It's a learning curve, but well worth the time. Not everyone is going to want to learn how to tune (chip reprogramming). Learning to use a laptop to record data with the engine running is a good skill to learn. The recorded data can used by someone with more advanced TBI experience, to get an engine from running to performing.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Stay strong! I too want the same thing from my Vette... make it more drivable and enjoyable. I really should start working on this project, and the other 10 items I want to get done this winter! Just too damn cold lately in Chicago for a junkyard afternoon. I missed my window last weekend, was nearly 50 degrees. Now it's 11. :(

Dearborn Heights... shouldn't you be driving a Ford? I visit Ford in Dearborn somewhat regularly for my work as an automotive supplier.

Carb and Points!
    No, I work for GM. I live within a couple miles of Greenfield Village.

I need to get going on this project, too. I didn't drive the vette at all last year. I don't even know where to get started on finding parts.
    Last edited by 7t5; 01-04-2014 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7t5 View Post

I need to get going on this project, too. I didn't drive the vette at all last year. I don't even know where to get started on finding parts.
    I've built several TBI systems. The quick list of parts to get, hopefully from the same donor vehicle:
    ECM
    Sensors
    Wiring Harness
    Throttle Body
    Distributor
    Aftermarket Fuel Pump
    Design / fabricate a return fuel line to the fuel tank

dave w

Carb and Points!

Gotcha. Where do you work at? About the only GM facility I ever visit is the VEC in Warren. Been a while since I was there though, probably not since May.

I didn't get my Vette out until pretty late last year, into August I think. Then I drove it pretty regularly from then until mid-October. But with each drive, I could just tell that certain things were trying to tell me "I need some maintenance if you're going to be driving me 120+ miles per week." Worst items I have right now are a leaky axle seal allowing gear oil into a rear drum, the annoyance of a 4.11 rear end trying to drive 65+ to work each way, and a pretty chattery manual transmission that seems to vibrate a fair amount once warmed up and cruising. Then of course the general annoyance of living with a carb and always arriving at home or work smelling like I was sitting with the exhaust pipe pointed at me. That's where the idea of TBI came in, hoping I can get the engine running as clean as possible along with the convenience and reliability of an EFI system. Not really too worried about maximum performance, with the steering and brakes of a car from 1962, I'm in no big hurry.

A few pics and info on my car here if you want to take a look:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-Vette&p=33503

You start at GM and find the guy with the calibration documents for any ECM/PCM any year! Then you will have so many friends all the parts and how to do it will flow to you like blessings from God!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    You start at GM and find the guy with the calibration documents for any ECM/PCM any year! Then you will have so many friends all the parts and how to do it will flow to you like blessings from God!
    That sounds like a great idea, but I like my job more than I like you guys.

We have a few floating around here that were... obtained from GM. It sure makes for a good TunerPro XDF file for adjusting the chip/bin files.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-