Thread: Hei from Finland

Carb and Points!

Hei from Finland

I have a Jaguar XJC from 1975 with Chevy 350 TBI that I bought from California. This site too hopefully helps me to understand how it works.

Fuel Injected!
    Welcome! Do you know what year the 350 TBI setup is? There should be some numbers on the computer.
    Mike V

Quote Originally Posted by Jagulet View Post
    I have a Jaguar XJC from 1975 with Chevy 350 TBI that I bought from California. This site too hopefully helps me to understand how it works.
    I think some pictures of the engine and the TBI computer in the Jaguar will help.

dave w

Pictures of cool cars always helps us!

How TBI works is easy...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Hei!

I have learned something about TBI searching internet and manuals, and it really don't seem very difficult. Where I need help is to make engines cold idle working better. It is rather cold here in Finland compared to California, alltought I am not driving my Jaguar at winter time. I have been wondering maybe it needs a new PROM. Here is the details of the engine, transmission and TBI system:
    - chevy 350 truck engine, swirl port heads (LO5?)
    - TH700R4
    - 1227747 ecm
    - ACSM bin
    - 3.13 differential (Jaguar's own)
    - Holley throttle body

I drove it last summer over 8000 kilometres and it worked allright, at highway speed fuel economy was quite good, 12l/100km. It allways brings me back home again. Almost only proplem were the cold mornings, I have to accelerate it a little bit to start the engine, and the idle was very bad. When it warms up, it works fine. So I began to think that a car from sunny California needs trimming to work properly here in Finland. I have been planning to but a new engine harness to it (Painless Wiring), because the old one is not in good condition anymore. And if it needs new PROM, or something else, to run better, maybe you (all of you)have the information which bin is the best for this situation.
    I tried to put photos here, but it didn't worked. I have to learn more about it.
    Thanks for advice, and hope you understand what I am writing (my school days are far behind)

Matti

Carb and Points!
    WP_20131208_009.jpgWP_20131208_015.jpgWP_20131208_004.jpgWP_20131208_008.jpgWP_000118.jpg

Here are the photos, winter time picture is whit original California plates.

Matti

Nice where in CA did you get it from??

Very cool! My favorite colors for any car is white with black interior!

If the engine is stock which from pics looks to be? It should not be giving you cold start issues? Couple things I see that may help is the holley TBI unit... while the TB part is good, the injectors are sometimes troublesome to say the least and do need tuning. A stock injector pod on top with some stock GM serviced injectors would be a better choice. Then there's the cold air intake that comes on these engines which works really well! It also has a warm air duct off the exhaust manifold which again works really well. It draws warm air when cold and turns off when hot. After having cold issues with stock engine transplants I did some testing on my stock 1990 5.7L TBI suburban and can tell you that disabling this hot air tube causes driveability issues in cold weather. It also prevents icing of the TBI when weather is around 35*f and humidty high or raining...

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by roughneck427 View Post
    Nice where in CA did you get it from??
    It is from Los Gatos

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Very cool! My favorite colors for any car is white with black interior!

If the engine is stock which from pics looks to be? It should not be giving you cold start issues? Couple things I see that may help is the holley TBI unit... while the TB part is good, the injectors are sometimes troublesome to say the least and do need tuning. A stock injector pod on top with some stock GM serviced injectors would be a better choice. Then there's the cold air intake that comes on these engines which works really well! It also has a warm air duct off the exhaust manifold which again works really well. It draws warm air when cold and turns off when hot. After having cold issues with stock engine transplants I did some testing on my stock 1990 5.7L TBI suburban and can tell you that disabling this hot air tube causes driveability issues in cold weather. It also prevents icing of the TBI when weather is around 35*f and humidty high or raining...

Engine is stock as far as I know.
    There is not very much room between TB and bonnet, maybe 4...5 inches, so cold air intake you mentioned is not suitable, I think it is too high.
    As I have understood there is no choke, so how ecm makes it work when it is cold? Is it normal that you have to accelerate a little bit when starting the engine? Otherwise it won't start at all. In warm weather it starts by turning the key.
    ACSM bin looks to be for 3 speed transmission, is there a problem with 700r4?

ACSM is for a M40 trans and not a MD8 = 700r4 so probably the TCC does not lock up?

Choke is there but it's handled by the ECM adding fuel to injectors.

No it's not normal to need to move accelerator to start cold.

Air cleaners off of 91-93 Caprice are designed for low hood and have both cold air and heat tube. Still probably not your issue but helps with cold/hot driving.

Do you have a data log cable yet?

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    I have a data log cable and TunerPro RT.
    I think TCC locks up, but I am not absolutely sure about that. Not experienced with this kind of vehicles.