Thread: Narrowband o2 sensors all created equal?

Fuel Injected!

Narrowband o2 sensors all created equal?

Long story short, I installed LT headers on my TPI C10, and the 1 wire o2 is not happy about it. The truck drops out of closed loop at idle every time I stop. Looking to save a few bucks, I tried to remove a 2002 Silverado o2 sensor from a LS1 header I have lying around. No dice, rusted solid. Now I remember I have a brand new 92 Honda Accord sensor just gathering dust. It's a heated 4 wire o2 made by Denso, just like the Silverado sensor, wires are even the same color. Doing a bit of research online, appears they even put out the same signal. Any reason I couldn't use it? Wiring adapter is easy, I have cut up Honda engine harnesses lying around so it would be easy to make an adapter.

Thoughts? If I could save a little cash around Christmas time and solve this issue today, that would be pretty awesome.

Super Moderator
    not all sensors are created equal, however denso seems to be well-liked with the GM OBD1 crowd, along with the delco and one other i can't think of.

i avoid bosch o2 sensors like the plague.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Save some cash, it will work! You need to know what wires do what in the Honda Sensor: What wire is the Ground to Chassis wire for the O2 heater element. What wire is the Ignition Power (On / Start) wire for the O2 heater element. What wire is the O2 Signal to ECM wire. The forth wire could be either Ground to Chassis, or Referenced to an Internal Ground connection inside the ECM (research / research / research/ and research).

Which TPI ECM are you using?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Awesome! I have the wiring figured out, just got to make the adapter harness, good thing I have that weatherpack kit.

I'm running a 1227730 ECM, with of course the $8D calibration. I already grounded the ECM's o2 sensor ground to the chassis

Robert, Hondas don't like Bosch o2's either haha.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for your help guys! Got the Honda sensor in and wired up; fired up the truck today, runs better than ever. Goes into closed loop after 5 mins of idling. Now I can try to get a good tune on this thing.