Thread: 305 TPI dies when put in gear

Fuel Injected!

305 TPI dies when put in gear

305 mild cam, headers, 89 tpi firebird, $6E --- thought I had it fixed in warmer weather, but now it's cold out. When cold, starts and idles fine, as warms up, then if put in gear. will stumble and die. starts up fine idles fine, but will die again when put in gear. Has new heads slightly ported, also new iac, maf, distributor, wires, plugs, mild cam ( 218, 228 @ .050), headers, and no cat.

I am having problems understanding the "stall saver spark enable RPM threshold 1" and 2 and 3 ---and/or what else controls this idle speed thingy.
    it is an automatic with factory stall converter. I have changed idle rpm vs. coolant to 700 rpm minimum, with it being 1000 rpm at -40 degrees, but this thing still dies when at operating temp. If you slightly tap the throttle when putting it in gear, it's fine and will hold the idle on it's own after that, but if you don't touch the gas and go from park to drive or reverse, it will stutter, then die. starts up just fine and will do it all over again, but if you slightly hit the gas pedal it works great.

I really don't want to set it to 1000 rpm idle speed, but not sure what to change to keep this thing from stalling when put in gear.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.​

and what the hell is/ how does it work/ "IAC minimum keep alive learning temp" --
    Last edited by greggbruceauto; 12-13-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    do you have in gear and neutral settings in your xdf theres normally 3 settings including manual box idle rpm.do you have a working gear position switch wired in to tell it your shifting from park to drive

Fuel Injected!
    whatever is factory..... I don't see a parameter with tunerpro that asks for neutral or drive.....

not sure how to edit the xdf either.....

unless you are asking about "IAC target speed deadband"
    or "IAC steps added to T/F in drive"

I did change "IAC default keep alive motor steps " from stock 40 to 50-- wondering if this needs to be 100..?
    Last edited by greggbruceauto; 12-13-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I guess I should check the trans position pid next time I get to scan the car to see if it actually shows "drive" and "neutral" at the appropriate times.....
    thanks, I was looking for what I missed, this might be it.