Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another Ford converting

Electronic Ignition!

another Ford converting

ok Im hooked on doing this
    67 f 100
    71 (335) series 400 engine 9/1 compression from a galaxie 500 C6 trans mission

my cousin owns a wrecking yard I have my choice between a 91 1500 pick up and 93 1500 conversion van to pull the wiring from
    both have 350 engines

I plan on using a plug and play distributor http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Block-Fo...a094d9&vxp=mtr

that uses a GM big cap will this work?

is are the injectors from a 350 big enough? or will I need larger ones?

my fuel tank does not have a return line Im going to have to get creative suggestions please
    will I need to run 2 ox sensor's ?

my guess is that trans is no issue? speed sensor off cable to speedo

what am I missing?

I think I would convert a Ford distributor to the GM 7 pin HEI Module. The Car Craft link ( http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion_to_gm_hei/ ) shows a Ford distributor converted to a GM 4 pin HEI module. The same procedure is used to convert to the GM 7 Pin HEI module.

The Ebay distributor won't work.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 12-12-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    the dizzy I have now is points so by the time I find a 460 dura spark used for 25 to 40 bucks plus the cost of the gm module Im at the cost of the ebay dizzy

it already uses the same module
    Last edited by derbydad276; 12-12-2013 at 07:31 AM.

I understand what your saying. I was thinking the junkyards would have everything you need, GM and Ford parts for budget prices? Maybe not?

The ebay distributor is set up for plug and play use on an engine with a carburetor, it's not plug and play ready for a TBI fuel injection system. The ebay distributor uses the 4 Pin HEI Module with a vacuum advance. The ebay distributor would need to be converted to the 7 Pin HEI Module. The ebay distributor will need the vacuum advanced and springs removed along with the advance plates welded.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

It sounds like Dave can get you straightened out on the distributor side of things. I would recommend going with the '93 harness and PCM. For fuel pump/tank in a conversion, I have done this on 3 vehicles so far and it works very well.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    I would recommend going with the '93 harness and PCM. For fuel pump/tank in a conversion, I have done this on 3 vehicles so far and it works very well.

I would also recommend the 93 ~ 95 TBI PCM, but usually requires a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). The budget choice would be the 1991, which can be budget setup to operate without a VSS.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    It sounds like Dave can get you straightened out on the distributor side of things. I would recommend going with the '93 harness and PCM. For fuel pump/tank in a conversion, I have done this on 3 vehicles so far and it works very well.

now that is a cool idea

the standard F100 tank is behind the seat Im thinking of relocating behind the rear axel by using a early 80's f150 rear tank

can some one explain how the computerized distributor advances?

Quote Originally Posted by derbydad276 View Post
    can some one explain how the computerized distributor advances?
    The quick answer (not 100% complete) is the computerized distributor does not advance / retard the timing, the computer uses a spark table to advance / retard timing. In my way of thinking, it's like advancing / delaying when the coil actually sends spark to the spark plug. There are better explanations, but that how it works in a nutshell.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    ok now Im catching on!!!
    here is what Ill do

If you can't machine or don't have the time, ship the distributors to:
    Mail with check for $150 to:
    Trueline
    2244 W. Lundy Blvd.
    Post Falls, Idaho

Ph# 877-777-5343
    208-755-3876

Attention Marlo

also I found http://mail.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ and they are about 25 miles from me and at $265 for a stand alone harness I think it will be the way I go
    and Howell EFI sells adapter plates for $95

I can add a bung to my existing fuel tank and run and in line pump the easiest
    can I use my existing supply as a return line?

get new knock sensor , coolant sensor, does it matter what VSS ?

Quote Originally Posted by derbydad276 View Post
    ok now Im catching on!!!
    here is what Ill do

If you can't machine or don't have the time, ship the distributors to:
    Mail with check for $150 to:
    Trueline
    2244 W. Lundy Blvd.
    Post Falls, Idaho

Ph# 877-777-5343
    208-755-3876

Attention Marlo

also I found http://mail.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ and they are about 25 miles from me and at $265 for a stand alone harness I think it will be the way I go
    and Howell EFI sells adapter plates for $95

I can add a bung to my existing fuel tank and run and in line pump the easiest
    can I use my existing supply as a return line?

get new knock sensor , coolant sensor, does it matter what VSS ?
    If your shopping for a NEW Universal TBI Harness, I'd like to toss my hat into the ring of options. Below is a link to my Ebay auction for a NEW TBI Universal Wiring Harnessn ... Buy it Now or Best Offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321263218588...84.m1555.l2649

dave w

Daves has a knock sensor, AFI will not...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    If your shopping for a NEW Universal TBI Harness, I'd like to toss my hat into the ring of options. Below is a link to my Ebay auction for a NEW TBI Universal Wiring Harnessn ... Buy it Now or Best Offer.

dave w

That's a nice looking harness. It should lay out over the engine with everything coming out of the harness in the correct area where it needs to be connected. You've also already got the firewall pass-through plug and then it hides all the other parts inside the passenger compartment. The only complaint I would have is the use of an unheated O2 sensor.

The EFI-connection harness has a common harness and then little wire harnesses for each connector all split off at the same time. I can't see that installing as nicely. Also, no firewall pass-through plug and if you did pass that main harness part through the firewall then the OBDI plug would be in the engine compartment. It also looks to use a single wire O2.

Just mentioning the single wire O2 because many people doing TBI swaps are using headers which don't play well with a 1-wire O2. Having a heated sensor already in the harness saves having to add the wires. At least the wires would be there, even if they require extending for some applications.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-13-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Adding heated O2 is simple and low cost. Available add on kit conversion, see pics, or install into to the harness before shipping. It always a challenge to sell an aftermarket product ... cost vs. features. Most potential buyers look at the price first, then the features.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Very nice. Just have to ask.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

dave w

we have a winner its starting to look like Ill be able to do this for less than I thought Ill pm you when Im ready and leave ebay out of it

I wont be using headers so I don't think I need to worry about a heated o2 sensor

next question ****
    will using this on a engine 50 CI larger affect the ecm? will I need a chip from the beginning?
    Im not looking for high performance Im looking for easy starting and economy
    also with dual exhaust will I need 2 o2 sensors?