Thread: 12200411 - A Few General Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ezobens View Post
    Distributor:
    Has anyone attempted to graft the Vortec style distributor reluctor wheel and CMP onto a points style GM distributor?
    I plan on running sequential injection with a single coil and distributor and I want to keep the original mechanical tach drive intact. I'd love to see if anyone has done this.
    With some advanced CAD work and CNC machining, anything is po$$ible. See Pics below for a Chrysler distributor custom made for use with an '0411 PCM.

Knock sensors:
    It seems the later 'Flat Response' style are more flexible than the 'Resonant' style (and I don't like the idea of losing a block drain to install it)- Is there any difference other than the connector between the 21024981 (Vortec) and 12623730 (LS) Knock Sensor? Which would be best for my application?
    I would simply remove the knock sensor when I needed to drain the block. I would use the knock sensor from a 2002 Express Van 5.7 liter.

VSS:
    I'm running a 5-Speed manual (SS 700). Do I need a VSS to run the 12200411? What does the VSS get me?
    I don't have cruise control, will have cable driven throttle and I am running stock analog instruments so unless there is a performance or reliability advantage, do I need it?
    The VSS can be eliminated in the PCM programming.

Clutch Switch:
    Not sure if this is used in conjunction with the VSS or if it works alone? Is there an advantage to using it? Should I?
    The clutch switch can be eliminated in the PCM programming.

Oil Pressure Sensor:
    Again, is this something I need? I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and I really don't need the PCM to alert me (by shutting down) if my oil pressure is gone. Is there any other advantage for having it other than an engine safety net?
    The oil pressure sensor can be eliminated in the PCM programming.

MAF sensor:
    This may be a dumb question but I can't seem to find an answer. Is size a factor? I'm assuming the MAF needs to be at least the same diameter as the throttle body but does it matter if it's bigger (IE wanting to use the 5-wire, 85mm MAF sensor with a 71mm throttle body)?
    The 5 wire MAF can be used, as long as the PCM programming is set up for the 85mm MAF settings.

I would recommend installing a Normally Closed Brake Switch for the '0411 PCM.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images