Thread: VSS ?

Fuel Injected!

VSS ?

I have an 85 chevy k5. I found the parts up at the speedometer and need to know what I hook up my vss input to? do I use the yellow wire that comes out of the little green adapter or use the wire before it?

Fuel Injected!
    I don't have a brown wire. red green black come out of speedo head and pink black yellow come out of what I think is the buffer.

Pink will be ignition, black will be ground, that leaves one wire. ;)

The one I used in my car (conversion as well) had a brown wire, I don't think I've seen one with a yellow wire.

--==EDIT==--

I was just looking at some pictures and think you might need a different plug.

I'll attach a picture of my optical VSS, so you can compare.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Pink will be ignition, black will be ground, that leaves one wire. ;)

The one I used in my car (conversion as well) had a brown wire, I don't think I've seen one with a yellow wire.

--==EDIT==--

I was just looking at some pictures and think you might need a different plug.

I'll attach a picture of my optical VSS, so you can compare.
    Mine looks like that but has a yellow wire coming out of the part not drown. I was not sure if you connected it before the buffer part or after it.

What? I don't understand what you are saying.

The 3 wires (red, black, green) between the buffer and the optical sensor are simply signal wires too/from the optical sensor, why would you think that you need to attach to those?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Just wasn't sure if I was supposed to use the raw signal or the buffered one.

Fuel Injected!
    Here mine, the main plug (white) has pink/black (12v+), black/white (ground), and brown (2k PPM to ECM). The second black plug with yellow wire is also a 2k PPM signal for cruise control. Yes you have to use the buffered signal for the green box.

Fuel Injected!
    Got it thats what i was looking for. I only have the white plug and it has a yellow wire instead of brown in it, since I only have cruise in 85. Thanks to all who helped out.

Fuel Injected!
    Glad we could sort that out for ya, makes sense now. My VSS was from a 1983 Malibu with the CCC system so it had an ECM and cruise, so 2 VSS feeds.

gm used 2 buffers a 3 wire output and a 4 wire output. the 4 wire was used in trucks with cruise control, both outputs are 2k pulses.these buffers are still available new from orielly's and napa