Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bricked 1996 T/A LT1 M6 ECU

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by MYLTWON View Post
    Soo I have a couple of questions.

What program are you using to flash the .bin files?

Where are you guys sourcing your chips from?
    I used a Willem family universal chip burner, the GQ-3X from mcumall.com. You also have to purchase the PLCC adapter kit (which is inexpensive) as most of the affordable chip burners are designed to take a DIP footprint natively. The actual software is a free download from the mcumall.com site.

You can re use the chips you pull from the ECU. There is quite a lot in that era automobile that uses PLCC, or at least the PLCC32 footprint; Ford, Chevy, Jeep/JTEC, and they were used in a lot of PC motherboard BIOS so it's always a good habit to field strip old computers... seems like a waste of time for a chip that sells for $4 new, but parts in hand WHEN you need them are worth a whole lot more.

Do yourself a favor and take a picture of the ECU before you remove the chips. It is quite common to go back with a socket, or the chip, and have lost track of it's orientation.
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it can not be overcome by brute strength and ignorance.

Fuel Injected!
    I have a moates apu1. Is there a reason I couldnt use that with a chip adapter?

Fuel Injected!
    Also, im on the MCUmall site. Which program am I looking for?

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...l_download.asp

Too bad there isnt a way to flash the chips without desoldering them.

Fuel Injected!
    Any other advice would be much appreciated. Im working up the courage to pull one of these things apart soon and see if my soldering skills are still what they use to be.

Fuel Injected!
    My man, there is a wealth of good information here. The questions you are asking are the sort only you can answer by diving in and learning hands on.
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it can not be overcome by brute strength and ignorance.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by MYLTWON View Post
    Any other advice would be much appreciated. Im working up the courage to pull one of these things apart soon and see if my soldering skills are still what they use to be.
    Personally I just had madtuner.com socket a couple PCMs for me. Unfortunately they don't appear to offer that service anymore.

The do-it-yourself method ideally requires a hot-air soldering setup to desolder the old chips without destroying them. Otherwise you'll find you'll have a hard time removing them with just a normal iron. Soldering in the sockets can easily be done with an iron, however.

It is possible to flash PLCC chips on-board. I have done it in the past.
    You need to build a cable with a PLCC socket and place it directly on the chip to make contact with the pins.
    However you can't use a universal programmer, you need to build a special-purpose device and its software to do the job.
    For high volume applications it's the best approach, faster and easier than soldering and socketing. For automotive PCMs there is not enough volume to justify the development of the device and software.

Fuel Injected!
    I know Pomona makes in-circuit test clips, I have a SOIC8 for serial EEPROMS. Whether or not the chip can be powered in-circuit to read/write depends on the chip and the circuit. I would expect in some cases that a trace might have to be cut or otherwise lifted.

I know I have dealt with some one off oddball memories in 80s cars, Matsushita (Panasonic) masked ROMs in asian stuff particularly, that follow most of a standardized pinout but then require an odd pin to be high or low in order to read.