Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricked 1996 T/A LT1 M6 ECU

Fuel Injected!

Bricked 1996 T/A LT1 M6 ECU

Anyone have a binary for this? My laptop locked up mid flash and I'd like to resurrect the hardware. The TC cal format appears to be half the size of the couple A4 binaries I've found. Woyuld those work with auto trans stuff disabled?

1996 Pontiac Formula / TA
    LT1 5.7 V8 MFI M6
    PCM: 16214399
    Module1: 16233198

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I don't have any as bin, but I think there are some .cal here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ibration-Files

Someone once showed us how to bin a cal?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    The problem is the cal is half the size of the binary. Looking at the A4 bin/cal files on your Moates mirror, the cal information is at the beginning and end of the binary, and the middle portion is, for lack of a better OBD2 LTx term, the OS itself. Two maybes present themself:

1) The beginning and/or end of the existing binary are wiped, and I could read/repair/rewrite with the cals I have on hand.

2) I can write with the A4 binary, then reflash with the different ECU/module ID number M6 cal I have.

My problem with this whole situation is I'm awesome at lifting a chip once or twice, but you put too much heat into a PCB and it gets really easy to damage. I want to be able to get in and out in one go. :/

I think what you need are the RAW .bin files to flash both chips with a universal programmer.
    I have both, here they are

To avoid damage to the circuit board, solder a PLCC socket so you can take the chips out when you need to flash them. I have done a few this way and it works good.

Let me know how it works
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    I think what you need are the RAW .bin files to flash both chips with a universal programmer.
    I have both, here they are

To avoid damage to the circuit board, solder a PLCC socket so you can take the chips out when you need to flash them. I have done a few this way and it works good.

Let me know how it works
    Nice. I hadn't opened the ECU case to look and ASSumed it was a PSOP44 like later stuff, not PLCC32. I have a bunch of those sockets for chipping EEC-V Ford, and recently the JTEC stuff.

I appreciate the backup. The kindness of strangers is the most rewarding kind.

Fuel Injected!
    Just so folks have an idea what the job look like. Here's the red/black side of the board, 28F512 PLCC32.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mekkis View Post
    Just so folks have an idea what the job look like. Here's the red/black side of the board, 28F512 PLCC32.
    How did it turn out?
    Did you run into any other issues?

Fuel Injected!
    It worked out great. I'm back in the saddle, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mekkis View Post
    Good Job
    I always break the plastic in the bottom of those PLCC sockets. You don't need to, but I prefer to do it because I can inspect the solder under a magnifying glass. I have a socketed PCM like this, let me take a few pictures.

Were you able to repair the PCM with the BINs I posted?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Good Job
    I always break the plastic in the bottom of those PLCC sockets. You don't need to, but I prefer to do it because I can inspect the solder under a magnifying glass. I have a socketed PCM like this, let me take a few pictures.

Were you able to repair the PCM with the BINs I posted?
    On days when my hands are not so steady I use the plastic bottom and a drop of soft glue to hold the socket in place so I don't fat finger it out of alignment. At that point it's trivial to remove it for inspection - small sidecutters and lift. The magnified lamp the picture was taken through in the last picture is wonderful, I really can see the quality of the solder joint wit or without removing the bottom. The first few PLCC32 I did I would melt the bottom free by the time I was done, but a thinner tip for the iron and some practice and I've not had any problems.

And, yes, I used your bins. Worked great. Thank you again.

Fuel Injected!
    How did you get the chip off the board?
    Got an 0411 with same issue,but no way I can get it off with any of my solder irons.
    Heat gun? Is that the reason for the tinfoil?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    Got an 0411 with same issue,but no way I can get it off with any of my solder irons.
    This is the least expensive way to get it free: http://sra-solder.com/product.php/68...rework_station

This is what I have, and recommend, if you do not have a good regulated soldering iron. Mine has held up 4 years of frequent use and just now needs the soldering iron/element/handle itself replaced ($18 or something): http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6987/26/968

Get a small selection of tips for it... they don't get eaten up by flux core solders like cheap irons do.
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it can not be overcome by brute strength and ignorance.

Fuel Injected!
    The foil is a method of controlling heat... you do want the board getting warm to help flow the solder, but keeping excess heat and blown air off of adjacent components is a reasonable precaution. If you look closely, the foil I used has been cut for a PSOP44 chip aka 896/411. :p

To be honest, the foil is likely not needed for 399 or 411. When doing a PS6.0 FICM that has boards with HUGE heatsinking ground and power planes adjacent to ultra tiny SMT components it's always a good idea to use foil.
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it can not be overcome by brute strength and ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    I would fix it for free if you pay shipping, however I'm in Mexico and shipping cost may be higher than a used PCM.

If you don't have a heat gun, you can lift it with the solder iron, however it's a bit tricky

Fuel Injected!
    Soo I have a couple of questions.

What program are you using to flash the .bin files?

Where are you guys sourcing your chips from?