Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Towing with T56

Fuel Injected!
    You didn't put a caliper on those parts after towing to make sure that they were within spec...not scientific . Thanks for the info. I've never seen those upgrades for the T56.

Quote Originally Posted by woody80z28 View Post
    Pretty cool. I've had my FWD 5spd apart a million times but haven't opened up my T56.

Glad to hear about the towing. The NV4500 in my truck is a beast, but it's good to know I can tow tools and tires if I ever do Drag Week in the Camaro.

And as far as ratios, the T56 is heaven compared to the NV4500. The splits on the 5spd drive me crazy. Pulling hills with a trailer it always wants to be between 4th and 3rd. And you really do have to wind out the first few gears so the next one doesn't fall on its face. Although the granny low can be nice sometimes. I even put a rocker switch in the front axle actuator so I can have 2LO. Just let the clutch out and it creeps.
    The T56 is really quite easy to navigate around once you're in there. I think the gurus on the mountain who came in here years ago talking shit are either as dumb as I think they are, or they missed the point of the post. If you're building a dedicated 1 ton tow rig is the T56 the transmission of choice?? Not really.... But if you need to tow something with it can it take it??? Absolutely. It really is a robust transmission.

Yes the close ratios of the T56 are just great for any kind of use, be it dragging a junked out 280z to the crusher or waxing that ass of the prevalent obnoxious Mustang driver.

Quote Originally Posted by notime2d8 View Post
    You didn't put a caliper on those parts after towing to make sure that they were within spec...not scientific . Thanks for the info. I've never seen those upgrades for the T56.

The thing that does suck about the T56 game is now that Tremec bought the T56 design from Borg Warner, and has subsequently ended the production of the T56, the transmissions themselves and parts are going to get harder to find.....

Tremec is the only game in town and they know it. They would like to force the TR6060/Magnum on all of us who want a six speed manual. I almost bought one just for the convenience of bolting it in and go. But the more I started to look into it, I found that it wouldn't be a upgrade in my opinion.

The TR6060 has bigger gears and bearings, so since the same basic case dimensions were used, something had to give.... The synchros were it. The clutching teeth are much smaller in a TR6060 which means it is MUCH less forgiving of missed shifts.... I don't really believe the bearings and gears to have been a weak link with the T56, it was just the goofy stuff: plastic fork pads, stamped steel slider keys, aluminum 3-4 shift fork that was prone to bend......

SEE POST #14 below:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...vs-tr6060.html

I purchased all the parts to beef this thing up from the Gearbox.... They, like many other companies are advertising their slider keys as "billet"..... One of them broke in my hand, right out of the box..... It looks more like powdered metal to me...... I really hope someone in the aftermarket steps up and starts supplying T56 parts including some real actual billet slider keys instead of the powdered metal ones that every company is trying to pass off as something they are not.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 03-10-2018 at 01:31 AM.

I have the LT1-style in my Camaro, so most of the cross-swapping stuff from your other post isn't of use to me, but I have seen the other upgrades you mention as part of the build options for a Tick Performance rebuild. I've thought about doing that down the line, before I add nitrous. My 383 will be about 550hp N/A, so I think the stock 48k mi trans will live behind it. But I think some nice, violent nitrous shifts would probably do it in.
    80 Camaro Z28 - 550hp AFR 383 / T56 6spd (Holley HP EFI)
    91 Beretta "SS" - 260hp 3400 MPFI / HM282 5spd (7730/$A1) sold! for crazy money...but I miss it
    94 Silverado Z71 - 300hp Vortec 357 TBI / NV4500 5spd (7427/$0D) gone but not forgotten
    96 Beretta "T56" - 4.8 LS RWD swap / 6spd (0411/2156)
    01 Silverado 2500HD - stock Vortec 8.1 / ZF6 6spd (0411/8322)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign

If you tackled that 5 speed FWD I'm sure the T56 would be cake for you. I have no FWD experience but I'm thinking it would be a bit more challenging. Yeah the main thing I wanted was a 32 spline mainshaft since this truck is heavy and now has a turbocharged 6.0 LS bolted to it.... I'm only going to keep cranking up the boost eventually so I figured I might as well bomb-proof this thing. Yeah there are guys who have pushed a bone stock T56 into the 9s in the quarter so I don't think you'll have too much problem. I would run it till it breaks then fix it and beef it up where ever you want. I have two other T56s and I'm thinking about having one of them faceplated for use in my 62 Chevy II. Ever look into that?

From what I've read, face plating makes them shift higher, but be a bitch on the street. Mine will see lots of street duty (Power Tour etc) and I don't think that's the route I want to go. I did see an Australian sequential shifter you can pair with a face plated trans that would be badass for drag duty. Also seems like a pain in the dick on the street though.
    80 Camaro Z28 - 550hp AFR 383 / T56 6spd (Holley HP EFI)
    91 Beretta "SS" - 260hp 3400 MPFI / HM282 5spd (7730/$A1) sold! for crazy money...but I miss it
    94 Silverado Z71 - 300hp Vortec 357 TBI / NV4500 5spd (7427/$0D) gone but not forgotten
    96 Beretta "T56" - 4.8 LS RWD swap / 6spd (0411/2156)
    01 Silverado 2500HD - stock Vortec 8.1 / ZF6 6spd (0411/8322)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign

Fuel Injected!
    I can show you pictures of a T56 from a Corvette with gear teeth all broken. I didn't find anything else broken but the gear teeth. But hey, they never break and can take tons of abuse, right?

I'd rather be dumb than a name calling piece of shit like you...
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 03-12-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    **** Autistic screeching ****
    No one was talking to you. You may now resume jacking off and wishing you had a T56.

Quote Originally Posted by woody80z28 View Post
    From what I've read, face plating makes them shift higher, but be a bitch on the street. Mine will see lots of street duty (Power Tour etc) and I don't think that's the route I want to go. I did see an Australian sequential shifter you can pair with a face plated trans that would be badass for drag duty. Also seems like a pain in the dick on the street though.
    I don't think it would be bad on the street. There are guys on tech who are running them and all the ones I've read about say that they would never have a synchronized box again after going that route. Basically what it would be like is similar to a motorcycle transmission which uses dog engagement. So in a car, that would be the only tradeoff as far as I can tell, it would no longer be silky smooth and quiet like with synchros, but a positive audible "CLUNK" when you engage gears.

Fuel Injected!
    Your shit is nothing special. I have 3. One is just good for a few parts now.

Looks like lionelhutz wandered off from camp and forgot to take her meds again.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post

Not a lick of unusual wear anywhere in the whole thing.

You "perfect" bearing ~only~ appears to have discoloration from mild overheating or very slight metal to metal contact. No big deal though, not like it's failed ~yet~.

This is what that bearing actually looks like when it doesn't have doesn't have any unusual wear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 03-13-2018 at 01:55 AM.

It's stained. Not discolored from heat.

These social forums provide a useful function. They let these poor people who would otherwise have no voice sound off, and feel important. All the while people are laughing behind their back.

Fuel Injected!
    Try again. Lubrication stained is the first sign of a bearing running too hot.

And yes, I do keep laughing at how pathetic you are. You actually posted proof of how stupid your claims are.

Nope, it is you who should try again. When I said normal wear, I think you missed the fact that this bearing is original to a gearbox that started off as an LT1 box, circa 1995. It has likely never been rebuilt and I bought it second hand on CL 8 years ago. I put 250,000+ miles on it myself, who knows how many were put on it before I got it.

Your name is fitting, for the most part. I googled it to see and it's a character from the Simpsons. Here's a synopsis of the character from a few paragraphs in:

"Hutz is characterized as both a grossly incompetent lawyer and an unethical individual in general...."

The incompetent part fits you to a T!!!! However the lawyer part is likely not fitting.... I'm sure a genius like you has never attended college, let alone earned a JD. In fact, I would not be the least bit surprised if you're a high school flunkie.

I make no claims, I report real experience. You are a sideline shit talker. But this is verrrryyy entertaining!

Fuel Injected!
    LOL Yup, no surprise you'd just keep making up bullshit excuses for the fact the bearing is clearly showing the initial signs of overheating. When I posted it is not normal wear, I think you missed the OBVIOUS FACT that overheating is not normal wear, genius.

One thing you can always count on is that the internet idiot with absolutely no leg to stand to on will fall back to pathetic personal attacks.