Thread: Towing with T56

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Okay........ I know everyone has just been on the edge of their seat to see what all the fuss is about............

Well here it is....... The turbocharged T56 towtruck walkaround video. Rambletron style.

Fuel Injected!
    Nice vid, do you have any driving vids? I like the acceleration vids when it was naturally aspirated. Gearing makes all the difference with these types of builds, both for durability, drivebility, fun factor. The transmissions are almost useless in heavy applications with stock 1/2 ton gearing with the high 2.66:1 1st and high 0.50:1 OD. A nice rear gear like those 4.88's make it all useable and fun.

Very nice!

peace
    Hog

Thanks Hog!

I intend to get some driving vids up soon!! Between work and other projects, plus having to build up this T56 frankenstein hybrid I've been pretty busy. Those older acceleration videos are when it was still a SBC TBI!! It was fun even then with the T56 and only ~300FWHP! The LQ4 makes about 330HP STOCK plus 8 pounds of boost which means this old OBS really smashes around.

You are spot on about gearing, it is very critical here. The deep ratios of the T56 plus the tall truck tires necessitate numerically high ring and pinion ratios. When I first put the T56 in years ago behind the SBC that USED to be in there, I drove around for a while with the stock 3.08 gears...... That meant that you had to slip the clutch big time to get going in 1st and 6th, well that gear was useless with the 3.08s...... The 4.88s are a perfect match...... Now that it is boosted, something a little lower (numerically) could also be good, like maybe 4.11 or so....

I can't tell you how many times I've had people either in shock and awe or straight up try to argue with me about 4.88 and their streetability...... Pulls like a freight train/spins the tires through 4th, and if you stick it in 6th gear you are turning 1978 RPM @ 70MPH....... VERY streetable with the 4.88s.... But then you know how that goes. Just because something is written down on paper somewhere, or it makes sense in a CAD program to an engineer; none of that really matters in the real world when you're talking about a home-built hot rod.

Did you used to post on other forums ? I seem to recall your handle.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 03-30-2018 at 08:35 PM.

MGW shifter showed up. Damn it looks like a nice piece.

Getting ready to tear the timing cover off and ditch the stock cam in favor of one significantly larger. I'd estimate a 50HP gain N/A and somewhere in the range of 100HP in my case given the turbocharger.