If you search around on the internet, you will find a lot of people that claim that the T56 can-NOT tow....
Why they say this is beyond me, but I do have some theories....

1. A bunch of computer chair mechanics and self professed experts are simply regurgitating what they have read some other jackass post on the web.
2. Dodge stuffed the T56 in the SRT10 pickups but didn't give it a towing rating...... AFAIK this SRT10 is the only production pickup-truck to use the T56.

Regardless, this is an internet myth that needs to be debunked like the BS that it is......

So I took my 1990 Silverado with my T56 from Guthrie, Oklahoma to Arkansas City, Kansas to pickup and bring back a longbed F150 for a friend. I have not towed anything this heavy this far since the T56 swap
I did several years back. My little 1/2 ton with a T56 towed the other truck and trailer with pure ease. Torque multiplication is the key if you're going to tow with a T56 (or anything for that matter). My
torque multiplication comes in the form of 4.88 gears in my 14-bolt semi floater.

Now I prefer to be very scientific and quantative, but unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to run the whole rig over a scale.
I'm estimating the two trucks, plus the trailer, ramps, tools, etc. to easily be 10,000 LBS in total.....

With the 4.88 gears I was even able to keep the trans in 6th gear MOST of the time. I had to downshift into 5th to climb a few hills with all that weight, but all in all the truck performed like a beast.
I drove up to Arkansas City with just my truck. In Arkansas City, we hooked up the trailer, loaded the F150 on the back, and headed back to Guthrie, OK... Round trip burned up 1/2 a tank of gas... Not bad at all...