Thread: Towing with T56

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The point of the thread was just to show what I did. I'm not reccommending anyone do anything other than use common sense.

The 4.88s are perfect for a vehicle with a deep gearspread in the trans (T56) and tall tires 29" or above.

"But who wants to tow with 4.88 gears" Elaboration????

The fact that the T56 was not given a towing rating is kinda irrelevant I think, a simple quick search on google will turn up plenty of people who have towed with a T56, including Mrplow in his 6,000 lb tank.

There is data in the form of real world experience. I have towed a pile of axles, motorcycles, engines, etc. This was the most recent and probably the heaviest tow so I chose to report it. When did real world experience become "not-data"?

Like I said I've been beating on this craigslist T56 for 5 years and have done some occasional towing during that period so I think if towing was going to break this T56 it would have done that in the course of 5 years.

And as far as the oil analysis data and everything else you guys are talking about. Great idea. Do either of you work at Conoco or something because I don't have access to anything like that.

Fullsize trucks did come with the T56 , the SRT10. GM toyed with a concept truck that also used the T56 in a stripped down, vinyl floormat fullsize truck. (Never made full production unfortunately).

The drivetrain combo is a 350 TBI that I screwed together maybe 6 or 7 years ago. ~ 300-350 HP and 400-450 LB/FT est. Elgin cam, ported and polished heads, Ultimate TBI mods, AFPR, TBI and pod spacers, .060 over, HVOP, midlength headers with H pipe and full dual 3" pipes, ported and relieved oil return holes in lifter valley, 7427 PCM swap and DIY tuning. T56 trans obviously. 14 bolt semi floating 9.5" ring gear with 4.88s and Detroit TrueTrac. 3/4 ton brakes all around.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 12-16-2013 at 10:03 PM.