Thread: Towing with T56

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think it's funny how you come in here acting like some kind of authority on the matter, claiming that other people's experiences are null and void because they don't meet your expectations.

And you have resorted to name calling. Very mature. Very scientific. and Very informative.

I'm sharing my experience with others because it was a successful one, and there are a lot of posts scattered throughout the web of people saying you can't tow with a T56 for one reason or another....
    Where in my post did I say that the oil should be changed every 100 miles? Your logic sucks. My answer would be, you should have done some more research, and not resorted to the lazy man's heurestic like you just did.

So what you're saying is real world experience in doing something is useless, that we should only ever theorize about it and try to pointlessly, endlessly quantify, organize, stratify it. Just get out there and do it and see what happens.

Ya know, it's a classic case of: it's not what you say but how you say it. You could have worded your first post a thousand other ways "That's an intersting find, but I would have really liked to see temp data!"

My post is real world experience. Actually getting off the computer and doing something rather than perpetuating mindless mental masturbation (your specialty obviously). Maybe you should try it sometime, you might rise above the ranks of a self professed expert.

YES, it would have been AWESOME to get some temp data. Relevant and useful, I agree with you there. Unfortunately, I didn't have the ability to do that this time. Maybe next time I will be able to. But for you to say that real world experience is useless? That's ridiculous.

Fuel Injected!
    Rant and rave all you want, you still don't have any actual data that proves the transmission still operated safely during towing. In case you don't understand what I mean by safely I am meaning in an operating condition that will not lead to it's premature demise.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-14-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Need to invest in a leaf blower, wait is that a personal attack? I'm kidding No hard feelings here.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Oh there is data there in the form of real world experience. Hard to see from that ivory tower i know.

Leaf blower? :)

Fuel Injected!
    Why don't you enlighten everyone and explain how your single experience towing 100 odd miles has proven that a T56 won't prematurely fail if you tow with it without some kind of data showing it was operating safely? For example, temperature data, wear data or oil analysis data that proves nothing wasn't being hurt during the tow.

I'm sorry. It's not my duty to enlighten you.

I have towed MANY things with my truck since T56 swapping it. Did I bother to catalogue each instance with a full reportoire of data for you to review? No.

These are facts:

My fullsize truck, that wasn't supposed to have a T56 from the factory, now has it.

Scored a USED T56 on craiglist and installed it.

FIVE years later, after much daily driving and spirited driving ( I haven't been nice to my T56), and some occasional towing, still going strong with no sign of failure. That's not good enough of course. Not space age technology......

You're the one with the labratory obviously, why don't we use that for your uber scientific analysis?

Mrplow did a T56 swap before alot of us:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/95731-t56-6-speed-swap-2.html
    But that's worthless too, there is no official NASA spec printout with special congressional authorization to verify it so yeah it's no good......

Fuel Injected!
    And you are still continuing with the insulting bullying tactics. But then attacking the other person is the typical response from someone who can't argue facts...

Do you have any proof on how quickly the oil was being broken down?
    Do you have any proof that the transmission wasn't overheating?
    Do you have any proof you didn't cause some damage to a bearing or other internal part that will now fail prematurely?
    Do you have any proof you didn't break through the oil film between the 6th gear set and cause a little gear face damage that will propagate into a failure?

You want to discuss some of the wording in your first post? Your opening claim was that you can tow with a T56. You posted that any internet post that says you can't tow with a T56 was BS. So, since you know these internet posts are myths you must know what is it capable of towing. So can you tow 10,000lbs 100 odd miles but only that much weight and that far? Can you tow 10,000lbs every day for thousands and thousands of miles if you wanted? Can you tow any weight any distance? What about the service interval? Do you change the oil at 1/2 the recommended service interval? At 1/4? At 1/10? What about which gears you should use for the weight you are towing vs the power the engine has? What about ambient temperature? Can it tow 10,000lbs without failing when it's 110*F out or only when it's 70*F out?

At the end of the day, all you proved was you were able to tow 10,000 lbs 100 odd miles without being broken down on the side of the road due to a transmission failure. Nothing more. Any claim you make beyond that is just as much speculation by you as the internet posts you insulted in your first post.

As for MrPlow. What gear does he tow in? Using 4th would be WAY easier on the transmission then 6th. Even 5th would be easier on it then 6th. He mentions a pump and oil cooler. So, does he have one or not? That would make a HUGE difference on the towing capacity of the transmission.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.