Thread: New TPI project

Carb and Points!

New TPI project

Hi guys....

I'm building '31 Ford Victoria street rod

383 sbc 700r4 trans 3.73:1 ford nine inch.

Planning to add TPI

Intake manifold I have has EGR which I plan to eliminate. Also set up for cold start injector which I will eliminate also

The ECU I have is 1227747 and I believe the injectors are 19#

I need to Make or modify a wire harness and I'm in need of a good diagram and source for shells and connectors. Or would it be easier to modify an existing harness?

I have a basic understanding of how it all works, and I'm hoping to learn much more!!!

Any help is appreciated and I thank you in advance

to gearhead-efi.com

I'm a little confused, the 1227747 ECU is for Throttle Body fuel injection?

I'm not sure what year or type TPI you have Mass Air Flow or Map Sensor type? The picture below is for a 1991 Camaro with MAP Sensor. The ECU for the 1991 Camaro is 1227730.

I think the connector your looking for ( Delphi part # 12146448 / 18 AWG Wire) is available at Mouser Electronics. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...XPzOh97SvHc%3d

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dave w; 12-07-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Carb and Points!
    I guess that is part of my question??? Will that ecm work with a tuned port setup?

It is a MAP sensor type???speed density???? type

Quote Originally Posted by oneowner View Post
    I guess that is part of my question??? Will that ecm work with a tuned port setup?
    No, not really. I would not use the '7747 ECU for TPI. The '7747 was never factory engineered or factory designed for use on a TPI. I would use the 1227730 ECU.

It is a MAP sensor type???speed density???? type
    MAP Sensor Type is also called Speed Density. The 1991 Camaro schematic I posted is MAP Sensor / Speed Density TPI System using ECU 1227730.

dave w

I agree I would get a '7730 ECM and use S_AUJP if it was me.

Since the TPI intake has a cold start injector, it would be used up to '88, meaning that originally it was used on a mass air car, which doesn't matter, just mentioning it. Many people swap over to the later speed density system without changing anything on the intake anyway (except that cold start injector).

Why eliminate the EGR? The engine will run smoother, get better milage and be less prone to spark knock with one. It's also hidden under the plenum so it's hard to notice.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Sooo... It looks lie I need a different ECU to start with??? and wire harness.

I have no problem keeping the EGR if it would help with milage and performance. I want the project to be civilized driver with a little punch....Not so much a fire breathing monster.

In the past I've used two different Accell engine management systems in the past and found them difficult at best!!
    with customer support nonexistant!!

With limited experiance I hope to learn and assemble something with factory parts that will work

Are my expectations even possible, or should I be looking at plan "B"

Thanks for all your help

What you propose is definitely possible.

Just as a point of reference, I'm using a GM EFI system to run my Nissan engine. ;)

The GM ECM is very different from Accel EFI. I would say it will be easier to tune, at least the actual tuning of, meaning the use of a PC to make changes. If you're reference is the analog systems from a long time ago, this is a very different animal indeed.

The hardware set-up for tuning will be a little more involved, but not too difficult, if you think things through. There is an adapter for the EPROM, and likely to be a programmer. If you want real time tuning you will need an emulator.

By all rights, the engine should run well on stock programming, the only issue here is that the stock programming for the speed density TPI system has a passkey or "VATS" system integrated, that needs to be bypassed or disabled. This is a simple change in programming to disable the VATS system. After that you should be able to start and run your engine from stock programming to get the vehicle drive able and make tweaks afterwards.

The EGR will not hurt performance and will help with milage.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Sooo... It looks lie I need a different ECU to start with??? and wire harness.

I have no problem keeping the EGR if it would help with milage and performance. I want the project to be civilized driver with a little punch....Not so much a fire breathing monster.

In the past I've used two different Accell engine management systems in the past and found them difficult at best!!
    with customer support nonexistant!!

With limited experiance I hope to learn and assemble something with factory parts that will work

Are my expectations even possible, or should I be looking at plan "B"

Thanks for all your help
    Your plans are possible, and won't be difficult to complete.

Larry's Electric can supply you with a Wiring Harness and Computer at a competitive price. http://www.larryselectricsite.com/storefront/viewitem.php?productid=2

Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Watch out for those 19# injectors on a 383, I think you will find they are to small. It will run with them but depending on driving style they may not deliver.