Thread: was handed a puzzle

Carb and Points!

was handed a puzzle

i bought this old 1990 gmc with the 4.3 and 5 spd for scrap but i found out it ran. so i decided to put it to work but now have upgraded my trailer and the poor old 4.3 cant do it no more 40mph is all she will do when its loaded. so i had a 5.7 i was gonna put on a trike but figured it would be better use in truck. so a buddy gave me a ecm with service number 16156647 which on here i found was for 2.5 s10 (why he said that would work for the 5.7 i have no clue.) with a dleco chip BAZC and handed me another chip ASDV in a static bag labeled 87 chev pick-up both chips come up with error on the BCC look up on here and havent tore the ecm out of truck yet so no info on that yet cause its pretty much a daily driver. so my question pretty much is... will either of the chips in combination with this ecm work with the 5.7 or will i have to hope the one in truck will work or will i have to fund a ecm with set up similar to what im converting to?

Carb and Points!
    i might get a bunch of hate for this but im a ford guy... and the simplicity of these TBI systems make no sense to me i would think the ecm in truck would work fine with the feed back from the 5.7 considering its just 2 more cylinders of same bore and stroke

We have no hate for any cars here although the majority of EFI is all GM because it's easily adaptable and tunable for any engine.

You could think that way but the ECM does not. It knows 2 cylinders would be missing. Yeah it will probably run, but not well.

Swapping in the 5.7L is fairly easy, it will need the TBI from the 5.7L as injectors are differant size. Also the ESC and knock sensor should be from the 5.7L and then find a chip for the 5.7L same ECM and you should be good to go.

I have no listing for a ASDV? Check that BCC again...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    IMAG0304.jpgunless that V is a U... but neither were listed cause the BAZC came up as an error too on the look up. but the 5.7 donor has intake TBI harness.. EVERYTHING but flywheel

I should have known it was ASDU, that is for 5.7L Auto. It will work for now.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    so am i able to get the chip for the 5.7 out of its holder and put in the chip adapter for the 2.5? or is the 2.5 set up just scrap that the dude gave me to look like he knew what he was talking about?

The ASDU bin is a $42 bin which most likely came out of a 7747 ecm. There is a good chance that the ECM in your 90 GMC is a 7747, If that is the case, just replace the chip in the 7747 with the ASDU chip. The holder will be the same, so you won't need to swap the holders
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

It's a differant PCM with a memcal Jim...

Pretty sure his stock ECM was a 299 or 288 which he can plug a 7747 ECM in with the ADSU.

-= =-